Swarm cells already?!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iainwilk01

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I only picks up my nuc 3 weeks ago and transferred straight into hive. Just did an inspection and have spotted uncapped swarm cells with larvae in. Surely they're not looking to swarm already? Last week I only had 4 frames of brood n now there's about 8 And looking rather cramped!
Is an AS my only option or could another BB or Super change their mind?

You need to split them.....sorry
Giving them more room at this stage will not stop them swarming
I always consider that moving a nuc into a full hive at this time of year sets the clock for weekly inspections
You might have avoided it you might not.

I had the same happen to me three or four weeks in. I think the foundation was not being drawn out as quick as she was being allowed to lay and they felt cramped.

You could be lucky by giving them a bit more room, do you have any drawn brood foundation to give her room to lay? But......an AS would be far preferable. Please don't think I am being rude but as new beekeeper are you sure they are queen cells and not drone brood?
E

100% swam cells, about 4/5 in total, all uncapped. Only got the nuc box they came in so gonna attempt an AS with that til I can get another hive together. Think I'm ready, anyone got any tips or pointers or gotchas?

Get it all set up, foundation in the nuc on the old site, take out the centre frame. Move the old hive to a new site, find the frame with the queen on, make sure there are no queen cells on it and put it in the space in the nuc. close the frames in the old hive up and add the new frame at the end. Remove all but one queen cell which has a larvae in it. Mark the top of the frame so you know which one to be careful with on next inspection.
Do you have any idea how old the queen was? You don't say if it was a swarm or a bought one.
Oh.... And buy a new hive!
E

All I know about the queen is she is this years, she was reared and added to the nuc before I got her.
So just the one frame of brood/stores, I've read three?!

With a queen of this year's rearing I wuld give them more room and destroy queen cells, eve tally they will give up, as it's getting late for swarming preparations, anyway

With a queen of this year's rearing I wuld give them more room and destroy queen cells, eve tally they will give up, as it's getting late for swarming preparations, anyway

June.......late.........surely not!

June.......late.........surely not!

Late June , July this week. Swarming nearly over here in the north east, southern area must be totally over. Young queen is the point. A colony with last year's or earlier could still swarm

Last edited:

Plenty of colonies around who had a slow start for whatever reason and are now getting congested.
Plenty more swarming to come,

Went with the AS in the end and all seems good so far. Ordered a national poly hive too to put the nuc into. How long should I wait to put them in the new hive, next inspection or when the nuc is drawn out?

I would do it ASAP. She is your old queen and she will start to lay as each cell becomes big enough.
E

Latest posts

Back