Swarm Box

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
all good info got to make up a couple at the weekend to fit national frames:cheers2:

all good info got to make up a couple at the weekend to fit national frames:cheers2:

OK. Soon you have millions of bees.

And I must bye a small vodka bottle and put terminated queens to swim in it.
It will be a good lure (I hope).

Thanks Finman - that is so interesting. I think I'll be having a closer look at the plans at the weekend.

I have 3 bait hives out, 2 of them are in old National brood boxes, but I've one in a nuc. Sounds like that's no good at all so I think I will take that down and build a bigger one.

Frisbee

I read this again http://ecommons.library.cornell.edu/...ney Bees.pdf

It was said that swarm does not bring honey on its first year. It surely does if........

My experience is that if you use so small swarms, what is mentioned in the text, the result will not be good. 2 kg swarm is too small to start a colony and forage honey.

When you unite several swarms, you get a good colony and a good yield and good combs for next spring.

So we have to get the ladders out. I have got a big birch tree that would be suitable. I thnk the building of a special box will be a winter task for this year. Not only is the building of a bait box a way of capturing bees but it is a way perhaps of reducing the fear people have of bees.... a swarm in the loft or in the cavity wall really scares people. So I can hope I can provide something that the bees find much more attractive.
Using vodka must be an expensive way of pickling queen bees, especially in Finland. When I visited Finland alcohol was very expensive. I stayed near Hamina, out in the forests. I remember the forest floors being covered in blueberries and they were so easy to pick.....and the fishing..

Hi Guys

I went for a three hours walk deciding on bee sites around my father in laws farm with again, not a single bee to be seen. (got sunburnt though!)

I 'had' been planning on siting the hives and adding some attractant to hopefully catch a swarm. However, no bees = no swarm!?!
My house a few miles down the road gets several bees in the house a day.... it almost makes me feel I am being watched whilst building the hives!

My thoughts are to knock up a bait box with the useful links from Finman.

I am just after a bit more info...

The bait boxes were nailed to a tree. This would mean they need to be 'unnailed' from the tree. Would a pully system not be more appropriate?

well shaded, highly visable and south facing. This will be challenging!

The author says that ventilation is a problem once sealed. Would it not be sensible to have vents, either permanent or temporary in the way of a removable cover?

The article also says about well established bait boxes. Can they not be moved as soon as the swarm moves in or should it be left to settle?

bait = I have some pheromone, but should I also offer food such as fondent near the entrance or within the box?

any other tips, tricks or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Pete

all i have ever done with swarm boxes is to tie it to a tree as high as i can put four drops of leanon grass oil in it and leave it alone. i know this sounds realy strange but i must spend hours laughing at you lot and the way every one seems to be out looking for swarms or building hives for them and praying for the swarm god to look apon you faverable,

A swarm is someones else off cast/ c*** up, i have always collected swarms if i have wanted them for others but i have never kept one for myself. my hives will be populated by my bees with my queens either breed by me or brought in for me. do not put your faith in them, if you are desparate for bees just ask i can bring down a five frame nuc at the weekend, but please stop pinning your hopes on smoke, as for what to learn with there is a gentle man i know how produces a 5 frame nuc for £80 these bees are a sort of english dark bee, they are slow to build up and slow to collect but are fantastic to learn with, they will produce a single super in a year as well as all there own winter stores no feeding needed, max population durring the year 20,000 max. thats almost half of what everyone else is dealing with so alot easier to work with, she wont swarm for two years and will then replace her self quitely, there will next to no verroa and no deiseses to worry about so sorry to upset every one but i have always seen the point of paying a good wad for good bees, go to easy bee and pay 150 quid it will be the best money you have ever spent all you will need is a set of boxs and a feeder, my rant was not personaly sent to peteinwilts but to all novices

swarms are c**k ups not a starting point

I think if you put food in it, it will get robbed.

If you catch a swarm it will soon start bringing in it's own food.

I've got one of mine on top of a shipping container, it's on a direct route from my bees to the rape field. I also have one on top of a friends goose house, to my knowledge no-one keeps bees in the area so we shall see if it's productive or not. The information in the research pointed to the best scenario, but it doesn't mean that other things will not work. I have increased the size of my one at home though.............

Frisbee

if you are desparate for bees just ask i can bring down a five frame nuc at the weekend, but please stop pinning your hopes on smoke, as for what to learn with there is a gentle man i know how produces a 5 frame nuc for £80 these bees are a sort of english dark bee,

I have been keeping an eye on most of the classifieds, including most locals associations south of manchester. Also most of the pro's are sold out until next year.
The only other nucs I have seen are at silly prices...

If there is an offer, I would be extremely happy to pop up and purchase a nuc if you have or know of one for sale....?!?

let me make a phone call or two and i will see what i can do for next weekend, also have you concidered the man in cornall sell them for fifty quid, you save £100 compared to others so spend £40 on petrol and you still save £60

That would be great....

cornall = cornwall??. I must have missed that one. If you are unable to supply, do you have his contact details?

Latest posts

Back