Swarm....as I speak

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfazer

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi, I have a swarm in my laurel hedge in the garden, right now. I've dealt with swarms before, but this is like two groups of bees, only a foot apart. It's been here about a half hour; I saw them swarm.

Just wondering how to collect them....

Do you think it's two swarms as in two queens, or would it be one swarm that I should hive as one? In my limited experience I'd say one is medium sized and one is small.

I'm trying to make increase, so hoping its two queens and not just one.
Thanks

Why not try it and see?
It may well be a prime and a cast swarm.
If the weather has been as bad with you as it has been here, they've probably been queuing up to leave! :D

Hi, I have a swarm in my laurel hedge in the garden, right now. I've dealt with swarms before, but this is like two groups of bees, only a foot apart. It's been here about a half hour; I saw them swarm.

Just wondering how to collect them....

Do you think it's two swarms as in two queens, or would it be one swarm that I should hive as one? In my limited experience I'd say one is medium sized and one is small.

I'm trying to make increase, so hoping its two queens and not just one.
Thanks

Gather them together, they will sort them selves out.

I shook them into two beer cartons and left them below the hedge on a sheet and they so far they seem to be staying apart. So I'll house them later when all the stragglers are gathered in. I have one nuc and one hive left so might as well use them. The weather is terrible here. Bright spells but heavy showers every 20 minutes or so. I have a big umbrella over them hoping to stop them getting drenched. It's getting cold too.

Hive them up by througing them into a hive together, feed and they will be ok. Swarms will accept other swarms without fighting.

I shook them into two beer cartons and left them below the hedge on a sheet and they so far they seem to be staying apart. So I'll house them later when all the stragglers are gathered in. I have one nuc and one hive left so might as well use them. The weather is terrible here. Bright spells but heavy showers every 20 minutes or so. I have a big umbrella over them hoping to stop them getting drenched. It's getting cold too.

If there are two queens as you suspect you've probably taken the correct action, especially as you want to increase your colonies. Nothing to lose and potentially an extra colony to gain. Just may need some encouragement if the smaller colony is weak. Keep em warm and dry.

If there are two queens as you suspect you've probably taken the correct action, especially as you want to increase your colonies. Nothing to lose and potentially an extra colony to gain. Just may need some encouragement if the smaller colony is weak. Keep em warm and dry.
:iagree:
If there is only 1 queen then the queenless one will migrate to the queen right one if you put them next to one another.

They stayed separate and content in the boxes all evening and then I nipped out during half time in the Wales game and hived them with no problems. When I shook them off the branches and into the boxes, the one that "looked" very small was actually bigger than I thought, so here's hopeful.
All tucked up in their frames with a thin syrup feed for the night.

I'm keeping those beer cartons for another wet-day swarm in the future. Corrugated cardboard, but the rain runs off the glossy outer surface. Worked well.

They stayed separate and content in the boxes all evening and then I nipped out during half time in the Wales game and hived them with no problems. When I shook them off the branches and into the boxes, the one that "looked" very small was actually bigger than I thought, so here's hopeful.
All tucked up in their frames with a thin syrup feed for the night.

I'm keeping those beer cartons for another wet-day swarm in the future. Corrugated cardboard, but the rain runs off the glossy outer surface. Worked well.

Fingers crossed for you. It's probably worth reiterating here the usual advice is not to feed for 3 days after swarming so the stomachs full of honey are used for wax making and any pathogens present in the honey (if they came from a diseased source) are locked into the wax.
If the bees have been out long or suffered adverse conditions their packed lunches may be already depleted so as always you use your judgement. If there is plenty of forage when the rain stops they'll find food anyway, regardless of whether you feed or not.

Fingers crossed for you. It's probably worth reiterating here the usual advice is not to feed for 3 days after swarming so the stomachs full of honey are used for wax making and any pathogens present in the honey (if they came from a diseased source) are locked into the wax.
If the bees have been out long or suffered adverse conditions their packed lunches may be already depleted so as always you use your judgement. If there is plenty of forage when the rain stops they'll find food anyway, regardless of whether you feed or not.
Thanks for the advice, I wasn't aware about not feeding, so I'm too late this time, but I'll know for again.

Beer cartons? How big? Likely a couple of casts. If you saw them leave, you should be able to determine the situation, if they emanated from one of yours.

They will likely benefit from a comb with a little open brood, or the risk of abscondment may be significant.

How long is it advisable to feed a newly housed swarm on syrup?

I obtained and housed my new swarms 9 days ago and am still feeding them on syrup.

I'm only a newbee so what do I know? But I'm in a similar situation (5 day-old swarm - my first colony), and I plan to feed (2:1 solution) until I see some flowers and warm weather, as I want to give them the best chance to build comb and increase before autumn.

How long is it advisable to feed a newly housed swarm on syrup?

I obtained and housed my new swarms 9 days ago and am still feeding them on syrup.

As long as you feel the need. Personally, this year I have not fed any swarms, and they have done fine. Feed (1:1) and it will encourage them to draw comb. They only draw comb that is needed. Feed too much for too long (especially if 2:1) and they will store it, possibly contaminating your honey.

I'm only a newbee so what do I know? But I'm in a similar situation (5 day-old swarm - my first colony), and I plan to feed (2:1 solution) until I see some flowers and warm weather, as I want to give them the best chance to build comb and increase before autumn.

We seem to have plenty of forage in Kent now, I imagine that Sussex can't be far behind - so I would only feed if they really need it.

The bramble's opened fully now and there seems to be a range of pollen colours going in.

Fingers crossed for a vew weeks of good weather!

I'm not expecting much if any honey this year - a bit late to start a colony?

Not late at all, plenty of time just don't expect much if any honey, but you need to stop feeding them so they have room to expand and build up for winter

Back