Swarm Advice

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My Mum's a Bea

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi All

A neighbour of mine has had a swarm settle in the roof of her summer house. I've been to have a look and they have found a way in through a hole under the eaves and are now well and trully embedded. I was wondering if there was anything I can do other than recommend an exterminator as she is quite scared of bees. Any help would be much appreciated.

cheers

Jon

contact your local beekeeping association and I am sure they will sort out the removal of the bees.

I have contacted my beekeeping association but other than taking off the roof I can't see an easy way to remove them. Is there some majic way of enticing them out. My skep works well if i can get it close but this is a conundrum. I'd hate to have them destroyed as it looks like a prime swarm or a very big cast.

cheers

Last edited:
Can you fix a box/nuc over the hole with a few frames and a bee escape so they can get out the roof, but not back into it?

You might lose the queen, but get the bees and maybe unite.

Can you fix a box/nuc over the hole with a few frames and a bee escape so they can get out the roof, but not back into it?

You might lose the queen, but get the bees and maybe unite.

Agree with Silly Bee but would ad, If its a new swarm that has just established putting a frame of brood from one of your own colonies (if you can spare it) into the nuc is likely to draw them out.

Latest posts

Back