Supplier sales...? (and prep for spring!)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjosephd

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
So coming to the end of first season and people now and then talk about waiting for the sales from the various beekeeping equipment suppliers.

When does this happen, how significant is it, and most importantly what sort of stuff actually goes on sale? Does it just end up being obscure bits and bobs? Or might I get a good deal on brood boxes and roofs and other useful or exciting stuff I actually might want.

What can I hope to get that's actually worth it and not just cr@p that will go dusty and I'll wonder why I ever bought it. I have no interest in candle making moulds whatsoever or a lay line magnetic beehive orientation device.

The most exciting thing I've seen so far is a whole £2.50 off a crown board.

I know it's early but I'm tempted to prep for spring now, before christmas starts prowling, or I am distracted fighting my demons through winter. I can imagine you blink and suddenly it's mid may already and you end up calling a supplier with one hand while with the other you plug the entrance to a hive with your finger to keep them from swarming until your new boxes arrive!

So coming to the end of first season and people now and then talk about waiting for the sales from the various beekeeping equipment suppliers.

When does this happen, how significant is it, and most importantly what sort of stuff actually goes on sale? Does it just end up being obscure bits and bobs? Or might I get a good deal on brood boxes and roofs and other useful or exciting stuff I actually might want.

What can I hope to get that's actually worth it and not just cr@p that will go dusty and I'll wonder why I ever bought it. I have no interest in candle making moulds whatsoever or a lay line magnetic beehive orientation device.

The most exciting thing I've seen so far is a whole £2.50 off a crown board.

I know it's early but I'm tempted to prep for spring now, before christmas starts prowling, or I am distracted fighting my demons through winter. I can imagine you blink and suddenly it's mid may already and you end up calling a supplier with one hand while with the other you plug the entrance to a hive with your finger to keep them from swarming until your new boxes arrive!

I've never been to a suppliers sale, preferring to go to association auctions with the critical eye of an economical Yorkshireman who's ancestors taught the scots how to save brass. Floors, boxes, crownboard, roof etc I make myself. Foundation, treatment, sugar, jars etc I buy via my association who assemble bulk purchases. It'll soon be time to assemble my foundation order :)

Thornes sales are under way .. Windsor was last Saturday, Stockbridge is the 19th, and Wragby is about 2 weeks later than that. Maismore's sale starts 1st October. Most items in the sale are 50% off, both Thornes and Maisemore, but not everything is in the sale and a lot of frames/boxes are seconds (although generally nothing wrong with them).
There are also show offers at the National Honey Show, Tradex, and the Spring Convention.

Usually get most of my stuff in the online January sales. Orders over £100'usually carriage free, so I try to buy for the whole year. Plenty of choice. Stuff we will all use is usually on offer, some things I would never dream of buying. Nothing wrong with the seconds. Frames are a good buy. Might get one duff out of fifty. Boxes have all been good too - had to fill the odd knot hole.

God you gave me heart failure thought I had got the date wrong and not got my order in on time so had to have a look.

Stockbridge is 26th sept order by 22nd online

Latest posts

Back