Supers are filling up

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raceyboy

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National

Just opened up the hive, got lots of brood, plenty of drone cells too. I have just put a 2nd super on, the first is nearly full, its not taken them long at all to fill the first one, at this rate my hive will look like a block of flats hehe. What would be the recommended amount of supers to add? I have 4 in total, will that be enough?

I would imagine that 4 would be enough for almost any hive even on a double national brood.

However i am sure there are people here who have used more on a hive!

You could always replace the full one with an empty and extract the full one and give it back to let them clean it up there by rotating them and getting them drawn out.

Just opened up the hive, got lots of brood, plenty of drone cells too. I have just put a 2nd super on, the first is nearly full, its not taken them long at all to fill the first one, at this rate my hive will look like a block of flats hehe. What would be the recommended amount of supers to add? I have 4 in total, will that be enough?

Assuming it's from OSR, and that's why it's filling so fast, I would recommend extracting any full + capped super as soon as it's capped!
If you didn't know, OSR will crystallize in the super frames if left to long.

I have 2-3 supers on most of my hives and they have just started to cap the 1st super, as soon as they are done I will be extracting!

Back