Supercedure

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

herefordshirehoney

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
3 poly langstroths
Hi

Not been on here for a while but here goes. Got a colony that is damn hot best queen I've ever had twice now I've had a massive queen cell in the middle frame to the right edge. Only seems to be this cell no others knocked it down twice without thinking but wondering what todo now if they try again.

As its my best queen really don't know what todo but got her from ged in sept 2015.

Option 1 let them get on with it and make sure it's just the one cell

Option 2 remove queen cell into kieler hive (not received it yet).

Option 3 put old queen into kieler just in case things go wrong with queen cell

Or something else....

Thx
Chris

Option 4: Put queen in 5 or 6 frame nuc, leave main colony raise the next QC and if they try to supersede in the nuc leave them and you end up (hopefuly) with two colonie

Option 4: Put queen in 5 or 6 frame nuc, leave main colony raise the next QC and if they try to supersede in the nuc leave them and you end up (hopefuly) with two colonie
:iagree:
Sounds like a colony you would want to rear another queen from.
I would also make sure she was clipped.

:iagree:
Sounds like a colony you would want to rear another queen from.
I would also make sure she was clipped.

Just been up and capped queen cell again insame place.
capped_queencell.jpg

I've boxed them back up and will need to make a choice tonight!

:i agree: and by concentrating the Q you can get daughters off her next year with a bit of luck.

ADD NO QCs in NUC!!! I'd contemplate a shook swarm if you had the frames, or at least take no brood frames to the nuc.

Last edited:
:i agree: and by concentrating the Q you can get daughters off her next year with a bit of luck.

ADD NO QCs in NUC!!! I'd contemplate a shook swarm if you had the frames, or at least take no brood frames to the nuc.

My first thought was a split.

Can you explain why no brood frames into the Nuc please?

That's just me. I find I ahem spot open QCs better than closed ones. And despite all the "Winter is coming" on here with a bit of judiciousness there's a lot of building up still to be done; can always transfer over a frame later when the Q- side is up and running.

The objection to all this of course is if the Q- side fails to raise a Q there is risk. But with other colonies it is manageable. Again just me but I would be doing a bit of grafting (or Q-rearing of some sort) as insurance, esp from your favourite Q.

ADD or you could just leave them to get on with it; it is supersedure time and the daughter may be just as good. "Bees know best" would suggest that and you'll just know next time to have banked a daughter or two.

Last edited:

Got loads of brood frames but no brood wax left or and only super wax so cant cut it down for starters.

Could build some frames and wire up with 4 wires and prewax upper part and transfer 1 frame from old hive but that's all i've got at moment. With any luck kieler mating hive will arrive today so hoping to put her in there then can transfer to nuc at later date.

Latest posts

Back