Supercedure in April?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
didnt know that about double brood .... interesting

my 3 hives are now all double brood ...but like jbm's demarree for preventative swarming option so that makes sense for me to do going forward year on year but would a quiet supercedure happen generally later in the season for a double brood ?

Supercedure has nothing to do with double brood.

I keep only young queens, 1-2 year, and my hives supercede very seldom.

Last edited:
Finman: There was a study done in 1986 by G Morales (reported in Winston page 197) that showed that large colonies (84L volume) are more likely to replace their queens by supersedure than by swarming. In my mere 60 years of beekeeping, I have also noticed that supersedure in the autumn is far more prevalent in my double brood colonies compared to single brood nationals (and like you I also have a background in biology). Spring supersedures on the other hand are usually associated with things not right in the colony (from bees perspective) eg Nosema infected queens, injured queens, recent introduced queens from diferent strain.

Ok. I have changed my queens every year.

Very strange study however.

I wonder how old were the queens in the study?
Normal unselected colonies swarm every year, if they are strong enough.

Last edited:
sounds like another vote for double brood in my book ::coolgleamA:

Only if your queen is fecund enough to occupy double brood (National hives). Its a decision you make based on the queens fecundity, not as in "you the beekeeper wanting to keep bees in double brood".
Some bees and strains require it (or larger type of brood box), some don't;.

Vote gor fouble brood??? You just keep double brood and look how it goes.

Nothing odd in it. Some queens lay one box in a week. Some never lay two boxes.

Only if your queen is fecund enough to occupy double brood (National hives). Its a decision you make based on the queens fecundity, not as in "you the beekeeper wanting to keep bees in double brood".
Some bees and strains require it (or larger type of brood box), some don't;.

Yes fair point ...national double brood is my target (where queen/conditions are appropriate).

I started with double brood but this year I've had all sorts of fun and games with early swarming and superceded. There was an article I read recently about sticking with single brood nationals so long as you do a complete comb change every year. I'm going to try that and see how it works for me.

I've nothing against double brood but after this year's start I'd like to try an alternative.

I started with double brood but this year I've had all sorts of fun and games with early swarming and superceded. There was an article I read recently about sticking with single brood nationals so long as you do a complete comb change every year. I'm going to try that and see how it works for me.

I've nothing against double brood but after this year's start I'd like to try an alternative.

Why don't you stick with double brood nationals during the season then get them onto single brood going into winter. You can the see how they perform come spring. Keep that second brood box handy to use if needed.

There was an article I read recently about sticking with single brood nationals so long as you do a complete comb change every year.

Hmmm, Should I hazard a guess to which comic you read that in?
I'm guessing the author was promoting an anuual shook swarm?the poor buggers will be too busy rebuilding the nest and catching up on wasted brood to think about swarming........
Or making much honey (which seems to be the desired objective for some)

Why don't you stick with double brood nationals during the season then get them onto single brood going into winter. You can the see how they perform come spring. Keep that second brood box handy to use if needed.

That indeed is the plan, however, as they say, no plan survives contact with the enemy!

Hmmm, Should I hazard a guess to which comic you read that in?
I'm guessing the author was promoting an anuual shook swarm?the poor buggers will be too busy rebuilding the nest and catching up on wasted brood to think about swarming........
Or making much honey (which seems to be the desired objective for some)

A Bailey was the preferred method. The amount of honey for me isn't the main thing. It's more the bees I'm enjoying.

Erm ..no and no.

Whatever gave you that idea?

Am I not at liberty to try it and see if it works for me?

Indeed, your bees you can do as you please. Always a ready market for drawn comb :biggrinjester:

I mostly give things away. So far this year I have given three nucs to people starting out. Last year I did sell some honey but it all went to charity.

I mostly give things away. So far this year I have given three nucs to people starting out. Last year I did sell some honey but it all went to charity.

Fantastic. Happy to swap you boxes of foundation for boxes of bees and comb! :)

Back