Supercedure? Advice please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vanterrier

House Bee From SW Northumberland
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have a colony lead by a Red Q from BMH and she is laying well but appears to have lost a front leg but still getting around OK. There is plenty space for her and there's a Super filling above her.
In the last two inspections I noticed QC's and as I, at least, am happy with her, I knocked them down, I wonder if they are looking to supercede her?
Three QC's were in the middle of the brood nest and central on the frame, others were on the frame edges at the sides. All were charged or sealed.
Should I leave one next time and maybe make a Nuc for the Red Q?
What would you do?
Cheers
K ;)

I have a colony lead by a Red Q from BMH and she is laying well but appears to have lost a front leg but still getting around OK. There is plenty space for her and there's a Super filling above her.
In the last two inspections I noticed QC's and as I, at least, am happy with her, I knocked them down, I wonder if they are looking to supercede her?
Three QC's were in the middle of the brood nest and central on the frame, others were on the frame edges at the sides. All were charged or sealed.
Should I leave one next time and maybe make a Nuc for the Red Q?
What would you do?
Cheers
K ;)
Those read as swarm cells.
I’d get out now and pop her in a nuc.if they ARE superseding her they will try there.

Well that message from the hallowed could not be clearer :ROFLMAO:
Thanks all, Nuc made up and Red Q moved over with grass in entrance but in same Apiary (no choice :( )
There's nowt like a nice relaxing hobby for retirement, and...

Sweating like a swamp donkey now
K ;)

Red Q moved over with grass in entrance but in same Apiary (no choice
I always leave mine in the same apiary. When you make the nuc up shake in plenty of bees and leave the top off for a minute to let the flying bees escape. Check a day later. If you feel they need more bees then shake in some more. I’ve never had to though

Thanks, I shook quite a few bees in so fingers crossed, but I am concerned about the temperatures tomorrow... 27 deg + !! Note I am not complaining ;)
The nuc is a five frame with a solid floor and a ducting type entrance wasp preventer (although there's still no wasps here). With the grass in the entrance and a solid crown board there'll be no ventilation.
I have placed a couple of blocks of wood with a heavy piece of aluminium treadplate above to create a gap above the nuc roof.
I do have a travel mesh but not sure if I should try and lash up a vented roof?
K ;)

I have placed a couple of blocks of wood with a heavy piece of aluminium treadplate above to create a gap above the nuc roof.
Better lifting the brood box off the floor a few mm at each corner
You don’t need the grass or the ducting for now

The nuc floor is fixed solid...
I could drill some 3mm holes along the sides near the bottom on both sides.
Are you saying to open the entrance and just lose the flyers? That would give some ventilation at least...

Ok I went back down and the wee beggars had already broke though the grass, so I removed the rest...
This is how I'm " sheltering" the roof...
20240811_165106.jpg20240811_165142.jpg
Thanks for your help and advice.
K ;)

Thanks all, Nuc made up and Red Q moved over with grass in entrance but in same Apiary (no choice :( )
it would be unwise to move her to another apiary anyway - and forget the grass as you want to put the nuc just a few yards from the poriginal hive as all the flying bees need to fly back to the mother hive as they are the swarm instigators and could still swarm from the nuc.

Grass is history now thanks to the bees taking over anyway. :rolleyes:
I didn't realise that I wanted to lose the flyers and for that reason... every day is a school day.
Thanks again
K ;)

Three QC's were in the middle of the brood nest and central on the frame, others were on the frame edges at the sides
looking to supercede her?
Started as supersedure and turned into swarming, just because they can.

Having removed the queen you're likely to find that EQCs appear, so thorough checks will be needed.

Years ago I clipped a queen too quickly and cut off a foot; at the next visit, sure enough, they were superseding her. Read somewhere that it was an old beekeeper trick.

Last edited:
Read somewhere that it was an old beekeeper trick.
I have read that too, but a few years ago, when I had at least two queens in separate colonies with each missing one of their front legs ( I hadn't cut them - but they may have had them dangling outside a queen cage at some stage and I accidentally touched them), I patiently waited for the workers to replace them with supersedure, but they never did. :unsure:

Latest posts

Back