Superceding

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enrico

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I keep reading , I found two queen cells so I presumed they were superceding so I left them to it!
No offence to any one who has typed this lately by the way
Does everyone believe this? In my opinion supercedure is a relatively rare occurrence in swarming season. I see it later in the season but in the middle of the swarming season I would not be prepared to take the risk. Bees don't generally supercede they swarm because that is how they reproduce. Anyone agree or disagree?

I have had 3 supercedure since mid-april with the first 2 laying since last weekend. I would generally agree that it's rare at this time of the year but as Dani points out if there is an issue with a queen they will change her.
I removed and nuc the queen from one of the hives which was superceding. Sure enough, the nuc is now superceding that queen.

I keep reading , I found two queen cells so I presumed they were superceding so I left them to it!
Does everyone believe this?
It's just the usual parotting of the belief that if a QC is in the middle of a frame it's supersedure
If it's at the bottom of a frame it's swarming
And they don't get much further of thinking about it than that.

Never had Supercedure cells in a colony as far as I am aware....always swarm cells.

I usually find supercedure happens in Autumn : Mother and Daughter syndrome. But after a really bad year for mating in 2021 due to weather, I have had two supercedures this year.My hive notes show a mated marked Q in March : and an unmarked one in May. QCs pulled down so no idea of location.

No offence to any one who has typed this lately by the way
Does everyone believe this? In my opinion supercedure is a relatively rare occurrence in swarming season. I see it later in the season but in the middle of the swarming season I would not be prepared to take the risk. Bees don't generally supercede they swarm because that is how they reproduce. Anyone agree or disagree?
I have had one supercedure so far this year. The queen was clearly struggling so had two sealed QCs on next inspection and no Queen. Still about same number of workers/drones. Cells were in centre at bottom of frame and halfway down one side. Kept the cell the workers were most interested in.

I have had two supercedures this year.My hive notes show a mated marked Q in March : and an unmarked one in May
Sounds like a perfect supersedure, which could easily have happened the autumn before with the old queen finally being disposed of in May - one year I had three generations all living happily together until the end of the summer

Latest posts

Back