superced. plans?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sahtlinurk

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
had a look trhought one of my colonies last Thursday and one of them had three QC in the middle of the frame.no QC nowhere else. one open and two capped. Lots of brood in all stages, fresh eggs etc.
left the open QC and closed the hive. Today the QC is capped, still plenty of brood in all stages including fresh eggs, so are they replaceing the present Queen but keeping her going as long as the new one emerges and mates?

cheers,
Lauri

had a look trhought one of my colonies last Thursday and one of them had three QC in the middle of the frame.no QC nowhere else. one open and two capped. Lots of brood in all stages, fresh eggs etc.
left the open QC and closed the hive. Today the QC is capped, still plenty of brood in all stages including fresh eggs, so are they replaceing the present Queen but keeping her going as long as the new one emerges and mates?

cheers,
Lauri

that's what supersedure is about - can have mother & daughter both laying and then eventually mother will disappear off the scene once bees are happy daughter is viable leaving daughter to carry on

Had this happen last year. I took the advice from the forum and done same as you and left them to get on with it. I thought they had pulled the QC down as there was no sign of it on inspection and original Q still there. Then one evening heard a Q piping there after no original Q. Her daughter I have never seen and believe me we have looked for her.

Latest posts

Back