Super space??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Hammond

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Is 11 drawn frames ok in a super or should it be reduced to 10 when drawn out?

You can leave them at eleven or reduce to nine or ten or, even eight.

Last edited:
Sorry but personally I find castellation a complete pain. I know some bee farms run it but not for me thanks as it makes moving combs in the supers very slow.

I run Manley frames myself as I work for comb honey only but in the past have used Hoffmans in the supers and found them nicely flexible.

PH

Your choice, as you have probably gathered, the bees will use the space you give them. The frames stay neater with. 11 in but you get more honey and less wax with less frames in. By a tiny amount!!
E

I use the same spacing for all frames in all boxes as I like to have the flexibility to move any frame to any position in any box at any time.

11 frames in a super .. even on hoffmans I only get 10 .. manleys is 9, but 8 manleys and 2 hoffmans genrally works..

........................................but then I run Langstroths ....:)

11 frames in a super .. even on hoffmans I only get 10 .. manleys is 9, but 8 manleys and 2 hoffmans genrally works..

........................................but then I run Langstroths ....:)

I run Langs with 9 frames in some supers...

When uncapping super frames with a knife do you end up with more honey in the uncapping tray using nine / ten frames than you would when using eleven.

Less - the honey you get in the tray is what sticks to the back of the cappings - less frames means less cappings = less honey in tray

Easier to uncap as well, as they build the comb out further from the frame, so usually get a nice slice of cappings off in one go.

Less - the honey you get in the tray is what sticks to the back of the cappings - less frames means less cappings = less honey in tray

I know where you are coming from with less frames = less uncapping but with the few frames i uncapped last year i found it was quite easy for the blade to wander deeper than it should of on some occasions.

is less wax in the cappings bucket a good thing?

If you are thinking that on the basis of less to cope with there are ways...

I used to uncap Manleys back to the top and bottom bars. Think about it.

I still have 8 x 30lb+ cakes of wax.

Not to mention keeping wax working bees busy. And their minds off of building queen cells....

PH

Sorry but personally I find castellation a complete pain. I know some bee farms run it but not for me thanks as it makes moving combs in the supers very slow.

I run Manley frames myself as I work for comb honey only but in the past have used Hoffmans in the supers and found them nicely flexible.

PH

Your signature says you have 5 hives... how much time difference are we talking about? A minute a hive. 10 minutes? An hour a year?

Castellated. 9 frames per super works for me

Your signature says you have 5 hives... how much time difference are we talking about? A minute a hive. 10 minutes? An hour a year?

Castellated. 9 frames per super works for me

PH used to have lots of hives
Then he moved and had none......for a nanosecond

Bj? When running 60 to 80 it adds up, seriously adds up.

Running 5, probably it don't matter... much.. until you are levering up the well stuck down top bars and then you find your nailing was wrong and things come apart... ooops.... OUCHIES and then you remember some sage wordies...

Enjoy.

PH

Maybe Admin.. there for we have no chance o questioning anything , but hey ho if you are alive and well why let it bother yee. ;)

Nah, I just got confused who was talking to who so made a comment that I was confused that made no sense once I realised who was talking to who. So I deleted it. Nothing sinister, just me not concentrating.

Back