Super above or below?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it does discourage waxmoth (even in brooded frames) and is also less work
Less work yes - difference of opinion yes 🙂 if boxes are sealed well either dry or wet and checked through really well there shouldn’t be any issues with wax moths

I usually get a half inch or more of discarded pollen on the bottom board of every stack - they leave the comb nice and clear ready for the next harvest
That can happen even if they are stored dry the bees don’t remove the pollen do they

Less work yes - difference of opinion yes 🙂 if boxes are sealed well either dry or wet and checked through really well there shouldn’t be any issues with wax moths
I think the issue is less work. The wax moth thing is a bonus.

I think the issue is less work. The wax moth thing is a bonus.
Well yes definitely 👍 - last season I got to the stage where I just didn’t have enough time to travel out to get the supers cleaned up! in my head I would prefer to have them stored dry but in reality when you have 80-100+ supers to extract from the logistics in taking them back out to each apiary is a nightmare BUT for the average beek with just a few hives I would recommend storing dry if possible and having them well sealed and that’s not just using a crown board bellow and above, plus also checking them through-out the autumn/winter period and even using smoke bombs or spraying with whatever products there are out there these days to store boxes of comb.
I suppose we are getting to that point.
Hopefully we have some very hard frosts this winter to aid in the storage of drawn comb.

BUT for the average beek with just a few hives
That’s me. I’ve extracted 20 supers and have eight left on the hives. The thought of getting those dry on the bees while they are busy on
the balsam appeals not one iota. The idea of getting them out of the shed to put back on the bees when forage stops appeals even less.
Some will go under for a while and they will be dry. I’ll start vaping from the top while they are there.

I was told that it's better to store supers wet as they are less likely to get wax moth?

I believe this is yet another myth. If "wet" supers tend not to get wax moth, how come wax moths are quite happy to colonise supers waiting for extraction?

As I've posted before, I suspect it has far more to do with whether they've had pollen or brood in.

James

I believe this is yet another myth. If "wet" supers tend not to get wax moth, how come wax moths are quite happy to colonise supers waiting for extraction?
Maybe I’ve just been lucky. As I’ve said before for me it’s convenience.

As I've posted before, I suspect it has far more to do with whether they've had pollen or brood in.

James
I do agree james, very rarely do I get wax moth in unbrooded frames.
And I’ve had wax moth in stored super frames with both honey and pollen in.
The worst damage is brooded frames.
How ever you store them wet or dry be very vigilant when checking them before hand and keep them well sealed
You’ll be surprised where they can develop in the groves of the side bars any nock and cranny really.

Are sulphur strips still considered safe for both brood and super frames?

All my supers and BBs are stored in stacks outdoors (no shed at the apiary). Usually dry rather than wet to reduce the risk of robbing. In autumn I place a dish of 80% acetic acid on top of each stack under a hive roof = no trouble with wax moth over winter.

Latest posts

Back