sudden colony loss from observation hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finman, I am suprised that you think that an observation should not be able to survive in UK.

Why not?

The hive is worked by bees same way as outside hive.
They store food.
They are warm and do not need to eat lots of food to generate as much energy as outside hive to keep warm.
The hive does not get damp.
Fresh air gets into hive.

I have only given them very small amount of fondant, (perhaps only tennis ball size in total) to see if they ate it.
They like water. About half pint (400ml?) a week.

They have same brood break as outside hive, which may be different for different parts of UK.

So far I think that they have eaten only half of what they stored.
No varroa drop.

Queen not laying yet.

Because ob's tend to be small colonies it is in fact not unusual to lose them over winter.

Main reason I think is difficulty in clustering due to lack of bees compared to a full colony and the single comb arrangement.

I know Bernard struggled with the big ob at Craibstone and that was on three brood frames plus heat and insulation.

PH

I was under the impression that they cluster to keep warm?
But as keeping warm in an obs hive (indoor) isnt as hard to do as in a normal outside hive, my bees havent clustered in a "lump" in the middle of the frames. They are spread evenly over all of the frames, but do move away from the entrance at the bottom a bit if there is a cold wind blowing.... (well I suppose we all would).
In fact, quite a considerable number of them sit on the glass.

I dont see why a small colony in an obs hive (mine is 2 up 2 down) would stand less chance of surviving than a four or five frame nuc outside.....small colony = small amount of food needed.

If my hive hadnt had enough food for the winter they would have eaten it all by now.
They still have incapped stores on upper frames and I think there might be some uncapped stuff on the lower frames but its difficult to see if there is honey in the cells or if the cells are just sparkling clean.

Well the sad fact is that they do find it harder.

If you think about it in a nuc they can cluster as normal. In an ob they are spread out, so unable to make a cluster. Think bee space and comb and effectively there is the answer.

Remember one cannot generalise from one example. If yours is going great guns in your location then that's great.

Move it to another location, say Craibstone which was mainly in winter an unheated building and other difficulties turn up.

PH

Finman, I am suprised that you think that an observation should not be able to survive in UK.

Why not?

The hive is worked by bees same way as outside hive.
They store food.
They are warm and do not need to eat lots of food to generate as much energy as outside hive to keep warm.
The hive does not get damp.
Fresh air gets into hive.

I have only given them very small amount of fondant, (perhaps only tennis ball size in total) to see if they ate it.
They like water. About half pint (400ml?) a week.

They have same brood break as outside hive, which may be different for different parts of UK.

So far I think that they have eaten only half of what they stored.
No varroa drop.

Queen not laying yet.

after my 47 years beekeeping I know too something about bees.
When bees have not a good winter sleep, they get old too soon and collapse.
When you have one observation hive, it is not the whole story.

I have just now in midd day -20C frost. I looked my twist size colony in firewood shelter. When spread bees occupye one frame.
It is well alive by the help 7W electrict heating. it has a good winter sleep there because they are forced into winter cluster.

In heated shelter wintering bees need under 7C temp and darkness.

Last edited:
If you think about it in a nuc they can cluster as normal. In an ob they are spread out, so unable to make a cluster. Think bee space and comb and effectively there is the answer.

The way I see it is that if they are warm they dont feel the need to make a cluster, which is best described as everybody getting as close to the centre of the hive as they can...Yes? Like penguins, and then keep changing places....

When we had the snow they were not as spread out on the frames as they are today. When there is colder air entering the hive they move away from the bottom, then the sides, so in effect they are then clustering.........to keep warm.
I'm not saying that anybody is wrong. I'm just stating what my bees are doing, and my theory as to why they are doing it.

You are a master of non listening.
When know few, you know all.

Very suitable as a beekeeper.

Last edited:
You are a master of non listening.
When know few, you know all.

Very suitable as a beekeeper.

What was I supposed to be listening to?

So far you havent told me anything that is relevant to my obs hive.

You were not even aware that an obs hive could overwinter in the UK so how can you tell me anything about my hive?

You are the one not listening because I was telling you about what is happening in my obs hive,,,, not what happens in all obs hive or any other hive.

What bits are you finding difficult to undertand? That the bees in my obs hive are not all huddled together because they are not cold? or that they have food left? because thats all I said..... nothing to do with the weather in Canada or anywhere else....

Latest posts

Back