stung and an allergic reaction.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pedrothefish

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
my usually docile bees were very angry when i checked them, some got into my suit and i was stung on the lip. within half an hour my face was very swollen and a rash appeared on my arms and my throat felt tight.
i was went to hospital and i had 2 injections which cured the problem.
i have been stung before on hands and legs without any allergic reaction.
i would have thought i would have built up some immune system by now
my question is, is it safe for me to keep on with beekeeping?
the hospital said i need to carry an Appypen? with me at all times
thanks in advance

I think they meant "epipen" which is a self administered epinephrine injection to minimise the effects of a severe allergic reaction (it's full name is anaphylaxis, and is a severe immune cascade that can result in death). It can happen if you become sensitised to the allergen.
I'd speak to your doc about keeping bees. It may have been freakish (sometimes taking another thing in your system combind with venom could do this), or next time it could be Very Serious Indeed. I'd trust a doc with your medical notes over an internet forum where your life is (potentially) concerned!

I'm going to the docs this week to see what he has to say, but I was interested to know if it had happened to other beekeepers and what the outcome was.
I love this hobby and am loath to give it up.
thanks for the headsup on the other threads.

Only had a severe reaction once ,was on painkillers for back pain at time,rash tongue uncomfortable,verry scarry,lost my confidence did not go near bees for 6 mts .If you do go back to your bees take a friend along for safety.

Some people get less sensitive to bee stings, some get more sensitive. My father never became allergic, but he reacted worse to stings as he got older.

If you do need a epipen please carry it every time. I used to know a beekeeper who kept it in his car. He never made it to the car when he needed it. Very sad

with a systemic reaction like that (with A&E visit and treatment) you need to ask your GP for prescription from an epipen AND referral to local immunology dept for desensitisation therapy.

I had a bad sting once and was told to 'stop beekeeping', that was 30 years ago. I still think it was a poor diagnosis as the doctor openly admitted I knew more than he did even as a teenager. I still keep bees, get stung and have no similar adverse effects, a one off. I married a GP 'just in case' and she isn't bothered either so speak to an informed medic rather than someone 'covering their butts'. There are plenty of Doctor beekeepers out there who can advise far better than a standard AE houseperson.

Apparently there is some evidence that NSAIDs can cause hightened sensitivity to bee stings. I don't suppose that could have been an agggravating factor in your case?
Either way, you need to talk to your GP asap.

I'm on NSAIDS at the moment and the reactions seem to be less- so I'm not sure whether they have an adverse effect or whethermy resistance is just increasing.
Get a proper medical consultation not an A&E opinion so you know where you stand

Doctors are not always the leading lights they should be but with a little help may discover the best way forward for you.

There is some info here

http://tinyurl.com/6afy29d

Last edited:
thanks for all the input, I'm seeing the doc wednesday and I'll let you know what happens.
But I'm staying away from the bees for a while!

Latest posts

Back