Stubborn swarm.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milkermel

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Got called to a swarm down a chimney two days ago, managed to smoke them out, and get them into a box. Had planned to leave them to settle and pick up in the evening. Stood around chatting and watching hive settle, 30mins later as I was about to leave, up they all went into another tree. Retrieved them again from 20ftup. Put them back in box waited until most in. Sealed up and brought them home. Bait hive left to try and catch up stragglers. All good. But 2pm today as I'm maddly making up supers for another hive, up this lot go and fly off. Collection was from 3 miles away, so thought should be OK. I'm now worried as I have a other swarm to look at on Monday. But it's close. What do people do to get a swarm to stay put? Would a frame of brood help. Never had bees do this to me before, but don't want it happening again

Got called to a swarm down a chimney two days ago, managed to smoke them out, and get them into a box. Had planned to leave them to settle and pick up in the evening. Stood around chatting and watching hive settle, 30mins later as I was about to leave, up they all went into another tree. Retrieved them again from 20ftup. Put them back in box waited until most in. Sealed up and brought them home. Bait hive left to try and catch up stragglers. All good. But 2pm today as I'm maddly making up supers for another hive, up this lot go and fly off. Collection was from 3 miles away, so thought should be OK. I'm now worried as I have a other swarm to look at on Monday. But it's close. What do people do to get a swarm to stay put? Would a frame of brood help. Never had bees do this to me before, but don't want it happening again

Frame of brood usually does the trick

[edit]
What do people do to get a swarm to stay put? Would a frame of brood help. Never had bees do this to me before, but don't want it happening again
Oddly enough swarms like to start from scratch- one reason why empty
swarm traps work best.

Shortest version to the question is found in the science - "control the queen
and you control the colony".
Soooo, fit a queen restrictor (QR) to entrance of hived swarms, always.
It stays fitted up until the first generation emerges, for best results.
Retail example attached, the magic number is 4.5mm high should
you wish to make your own bar.

Bill

Attachments

• QR_metal-1-1-1-1-1-2-1-1-1-1-1.jpg
    QR_metal-1-1-1-1-1-2-1-1-1-1-1.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 16
Are you trying to convince somebody else that including a swarmed queen is a good idea? And for a generation? Three weeks? Bad luck if you have a virgin queen in the swarm? Or any number of drones with it. But no matter. This has been done to death elsewhere.
One of the reasons swarms like empty boxes is that the scouts measure the volume by flying across the space. Something they can’t do if the box is full of frames.
But they will use boxes full of frames. They do nothing invariably;)

swarm traps work best.

Bill

Beginners beware, the information I have quoted is incorrect, 2 to 3 days would be sufficient. If you have a prime swarm with a virgin queen, or even a cast, then you have just turned the queen into a drone layer.

Beginners beware, the information I have quoted is incorrect, 2 to 3 days would be sufficient. If you have a prime swarm with a virgin queen, or even a cast, then you have just turned the queen into a drone layer.

Yeah. Said that.

swarm traps work best.

Bill

Seems to be the answer to everything in Oz?

Are you trying to convince somebody else that including a swarmed queen is a good idea?
Have you read the story of the topic?
Don't use the tool and so do weep, too easy.

And for a generation? Three weeks? Bad luck if you have a virgin queen in the swarm? Or any number of drones with it. But no matter. This has been done to death elsewhere.
IF you could use a chainsaw you would not be swarm chasing, yet
you'd still need a QR.
Beekeepers know how to spot virgins in a swarm capture - onlookers
... n0t so much.

This part of the site is 'reserved' for those who know, posts constructed
accordingly. I'd offer your vaccuous angst is lost, find that other door
where you left the corpse of your onslaught around QR use.

/kookaburra/

..another IFF'r.
Crikey, lucky the globe does not rely on "IF the sun doan shine", hey? (rhetorical)

The advice says, clearly---->f o r . b e s t . re s u l t s.
Also read post#15 in conjunction.

Compassionate and generous as I be..
I aint about to engage with the dyslexic here, I tellya.

Bill

Last edited:
Oh Bill your peddling of QR all the time, you should be including a reasonable time frame, you believe it remains the bastion of the Secret Squirrel Club. You fail to realise that there is more than one way to skin a cat. Beekeeping has a much wider audience, and you believe this area of the forum is exclusive, instead of inclusive. You will find beginners do read this part of the forum. I do enjoy your insults, you have been excessively over indulgent today.

0h Bill your peddling of QR all the time,

Nope.
Simply adding to a b'keeps toolbox.
The fact you do not see that speaks volumes as to your
actual knowledge base , and by extension then, any
worthwhile value add to *any* Apis husbandry topic.

Seems to myself you see your role as some form of
Egg Police, incarnate... or NetCop/Magistrate?
Dunnno, don't bother so much...

/shrug/

Compliments etc etc

Bill

Back