Strawberry Bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Busy Bee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Was talking to a man today whom grows stawberries under cover and he told me he buys bees to put in the tunnels that he has special strawberry bees?
mmmmm Don't know this. He said he getting them in from the continent. Would this be correct..

Busy Bee

I don't need any special bees in my poly's, I get enough of every other flying insect going, including bees, to polinate my strawberries....

Brian

Yes.

Bumbles.

Melifera are no use in the tunnels. Good for outside strawbs but not so many of them now.

PH

yes - imported bumbles. come in cardboard box hives and have to be destroyed at end of pollination duties to avoid contamination of native stocks.

its a very very big bussisness importing bumble bees for the glass house and poly tunnel industry

We had a talk by the Bumble Bee Conservation Trust and they have concerns about the imported bumbles, it seems that often they are nut culled but are released by well meaning producers. This is unfortunately suspected of displacing some of our naturally resident bumble bees.

Latest posts

Back