Stings

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helstoon

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Has anyone found that their bees are more inclined to sting in this hot weather?

No. Mine are so docile that I haven't even needed to use my smoker on the last two inspections (had it lit though, just in case!).

I think that they're very happy with such a good nectar flow and fine weather in which to collect it.

I've inspected early morning and late afternoon and they've been really well behaved considering the intrusion. At this time of year normally, I'd not be doing much more than adding supers when required, having done swarm prevention earlier. This year I have a very large colony deciding to start making cells right in the middle of this flow. Half past four today my future son in law (visiting from Australia) came to the apiary and we had three supers off and a double brood split as we went through, shaking bees. There were a fair few bees in the air and the grumpiest were in the supers lol. Despite all this, there was very little pinging. We had quite a few followers as we were parked close by and Ifan just took off his observers smock. Personally, I waited but he is used to going into his bees without one and doesn't care much about stings anyway! Only as we got in the pick up did he get stung on the back of his neck.
At this time of year, I expect the bees to be more protective but they were pretty decent today.

Mine are generally really docile.

However, yesterday evening I was watering plants and stood about 10 feet from the hives - which I normally see as out of the danger zone.

However, one little darling buzzed me fiercely a couple of times.
On the third pass, she stung me on the earlobe.
Took all of 5-10 seconds from beginning to end.

Hurt like beggery for a bit. Since then, just been hot, swollen and just a bit sore.

Put it down to the weather.

Dusty

No, never an irritable bee problem with the heat, 34 /35° here today and bees gentle as lambs, far too busy working nectar and water.

Of course they are perhaps genetically more suited to the heat here.

Chris

Thanks for the feedback, at the weekend a newish colony who are expanding quickly(bought as a nuc at end of May, already on brood and half and filled 1st super) were a bit grumpy on Sunday afternoon. Yesterday encouraged a colony from inside a tree in a friend's garden into a nuc box and then hived last night seemed really quiet, went to have a look from a distance at 6pm and was stung similar to Dusty in the "safe zone", maybe it's just the weather?

I suppose at 3 metres I wouldn't be too surprised to receive a sting or three if I was in the flight zone whatever the weather and to be honest I probably get stung at least once most days.:D

Angry bees to me are when they go for you mob handed.

Chris

We had to change the floor on our biggest colony yesterday evening - so complete dismantling of brood and a half, + 2 supers. Also had to remove some free comb they had build along the bottom of the brood frames (this was an 'emegency floor' build last year, as a tempory measure and never got round to correcting it !!! ) We expected them to get annoyed, but whole process completed with no gloves, and no stings - even when we went on to remove another 5 frames of honey as we replaced the supers!

Just a quickie, do other people find that when they get stung on the hand they get a strong reaction? Yesterday I went to collect something from by one of the hives and got stung on the hand, my hand now looks like I wrapped an elastic band round my wrist overnight! Quite swollen and painful... Only a beginner so 6th sting of the year.

Just a quickie, do other people find that when they get stung on the hand they get a strong reaction? Yesterday I went to collect something from by one of the hives and got stung on the hand, my hand now looks like I wrapped an elastic band round my wrist overnight! Quite swollen and painful... Only a beginner so 6th sting of the year.

No, hardly a reaction at all; bit itchy for an hour or two perhaps.

I used to swell quite a bit in the first year but 20+ stings later and it doesn't react quite so badly.

Yes, much worse than anywhere else.
That's probably unusual. A sting on the hand or fingers gives me a fair bit of local swelling the next day and then subsides. I can't play my banjo for a couple of days - not all would say that's a bad thing. A sting on the head is another matter all together. Head swells, and rash on all the sweaty bits. Keep the anti-histamine handy and don't take chances with the face protection is my motto.

Latest posts

Back