Still No Bees!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hi everybody,

I am a new beekeeper still without bees. I live in the Costa Blanca in Spain, have a large garden and also a wood. I have already posted that I ordered a package of bees, but the company then informed me they were only now offering collection from their site which is 7.5 hours drive away. I was then in discussions within a Spanish beekeeper only to eventually be told that his frames were a different size and therefore he could not let me have any.

Everyone on this forum has been very helpful making suggestions all of which were sensible and appreciated. But if anyone knows someone, or, organisation in Spain close to Costs Blanca south that has some bees I would be very grateful for a contact. I am willing to travel a couple of hours to pick up.

Hi everybody,

I am a new beekeeper still without bees. I live in the Costa Blanca in Spain, have a large garden and also a wood. I have already posted that I ordered a package of bees, but the company then informed me they were only now offering collection from their site which is 7.5 hours drive away. I was then in discussions within a Spanish beekeeper only to eventually be told that his frames were a different size and therefore he could not let me have any.

Everyone on this forum has been very helpful making suggestions all of which were sensible and appreciated. But if anyone knows someone, or, organisation in Spain close to Costs Blanca south that has some bees I would be very grateful for a contact. I am willing to travel a couple of hours to pick up.

https://www.pestsrusspain.com/

Have you tried these guys to see if they have a swarm you could gather?

Last edited:
Hello James, I'd be very interested to follow your beekeeping progress.

I know well part of the Marina Alta region of Costa Blanca, but I've never seen a hive there. In the gardens of urban areas there are hardly any bees and how fruit trees get pollinated is a mystery. The lack of bees I would put down to excessive use of pesticide - palm trees get injected or sprayed five times yearly to keep them alive. In case pesticide is not a problem where you are, then ensuring a supply of water for the bees would be my next concern. Any standing water becomes a mosquito breeding ground, in fact slightly damp soil after a shower (or watering the garden) seems to be enough for the tiger mosquito to appear in droves. Did you plan a sustainable water supply that can go beyond a few weeks of travel elsewhere? Wasp are a pest around swimming pools, drinking from any splashed water, perhaps bees in desperation would do the same?

The lack of bees I would put down to excessive use of pesticide - palm trees get injected or sprayed five times yearly to keep them alive.
That's awful! Maybe that's the reason James has no bees....nor ever will?
Not quite the same but I remember doing a heck of a lot of research before Stan and I relocated from Cumbria. We looked at quite a few places that we I instantly dismissed because they were surrounded by fields of OSR. :rolleyes:

Hello James, I'd be very interested to follow your beekeeping progress.

I know well part of the Marina Alta region of Costa Blanca, but I've never seen a hive there. In the gardens of urban areas there are hardly any bees and how fruit trees get pollinated is a mystery. The lack of bees I would put down to excessive use of pesticide - palm trees get injected or sprayed five times yearly to keep them alive. In case pesticide is not a problem where you are, then ensuring a supply of water for the bees would be my next concern. Any standing water becomes a mosquito breeding ground, in fact slightly damp soil after a shower (or watering the garden) seems to be enough for the tiger mosquito to appear in droves. Did you plan a sustainable water supply that can go beyond a few weeks of travel elsewhere? Wasp are a pest around swimming pools, drinking from any splashed water, perhaps bees in desperation would do the same?
Hi Eric,

Thank you for your interest. I am still beeless despite every effort to secure some. I am on every bee site possible and have now sent off to Amazon for a swarm trap gadget, so I will give that a go.
I have a very large garden here in the Costa Blanca and I am a very keen gardener; I also write a popular garden blog; check it out www.spanish-garden.com. I also own a small wood at the back of my house, so you can see that I am well set up for bees. But still beeless.

In terms of water, I have a largish water feature that is flowing constantly and would gives bees plenty of opportunity to drink, so that should be ok.

A friend has recently told me that there is a man selling honey at one of our local markets, and that he has a sign saying he will collect swarms from your garden, so I will contact him and see what happens.

In the meantime I am nipping back to the UK for 8 days so no doubt I will see lots of bees then.

I will let you know if I ever get any bees.

Hi Eric,

Thank you for your interest. I am still beeless despite every effort to secure some. I am on every bee site possible and have now sent off to Amazon for a swarm trap gadget, so I will give that a go.
I have a very large garden here in the Costa Blanca and I am a very keen gardener; I also write a popular garden blog; check it out www.spanish-garden.com. I also own a small wood at the back of my house, so you can see that I am well set up for bees. But still beeless.

In terms of water, I have a largish water feature that is flowing constantly and would gives bees plenty of opportunity to drink, so that should be ok.

A friend has recently told me that there is a man selling honey at one of our local markets, and that he has a sign saying he will collect swarms from your garden, so I will contact him and see what happens.

In the meantime I am nipping back to the UK for 8 days so no doubt I will see lots of bees then.

Asking the honey guy sounds like a good shout. He may even be willing to advise/mentor too.

In terms of swarm traps you don't need to buy one- even the right sized cardboard box will work (approx. 40L and yes, I've tried this successfully). Use a few drops of lemongrass oil inside the box with location and entrance hole as per Tom Seeley's recommendations. If you put a few of these around you may well get a swarm.

I agree with the above.
You will kick yourself in a couple of years, for paying good money for bees once swarms start to find you.

Asking the honey guy sounds like a good shout. He may even be willing to advise/mentor too.

In terms of swarm traps you don't need to buy one- even the right sized cardboard box will work (approx. 40L and yes, I've tried this successfully). Use a few drops of lemongrass oil inside the box with location and entrance hole as per Tom Seeley's recommendations. If you put a few of these around you may well get a swarm.
Right, when I get back I am going to try this. I may turn out to be the swarm catching king of the Costa Blanca.

Hi Eric,

Just a thought, James. If you are back in the UK would it be possible to take some bees back with you? I wonder what the rules are for export to the EU. Maybe you would have to have a certificate from a vet to say that they were OK. I presume you are flying which might mean that it is impossible.

Latest posts

Back