Stand

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just use a pallet.

I have to make up a stand for a national.
Any specific tips for design and height?

I make mine 1200 x 460, I make up a frame using 75 x 50 timber, screw the corners and put two brace pieces 460mm from the ends. I then bolt the legs on at a 22 degree angle on the inside of the frame, I cut my legs 300mm long. Hope this helps.

I make mine 18 inches high, because so far I haven't had to put on more than two supers and I don't like lifting heavy weight outside of the gym.

So I make mine from 2x2 treated, based on H shapes. This means two H shapes on either side, then a single cross piece joining the middle of the two outer H's. Morticed, glued and screwed. Then I use flat pieces of wood (so far I have used left-over decking and left-over floor planking) to go down about 6" from the top surfaces. This gives rigidity and also reduces the draught blowing under the OMF.

Forgot to say that a good source of wood is your local estate agents sign company. The signs aren't used for long, and they throw away or burn a lot of 2x2 stakes once they're chipped or broken.

Last edited:
The most important thing is to put the wood that the hive will stand on ontop of the legs. That way the weight is on the legs directly and not on screws. I make all my stands just over double length so I can out roofs, supers etc on the free bit at the back. That way I know they are not going to fall over, been there, done that!

Attachments

• IMG_stand.jpg
    IMG_stand.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 72

Latest posts

Back