Split/Artificial swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birdie Wife

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Please bear with me... I'm thinking I will probably have to divide my single strong colony and I have a couple of questions :

1. How is a split different to an artificial swarm?
2. If they're different, when would I choose to employ either method?
3. What's your preferred AS method?

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

A split is when you want to increase your stock. It can be done at any time. It does little to stop swarming. An as is done when swarming is being threatened by queen cells being created. You then trick the colony into thinking that the queen has swarmed by getting the fliers and queen in one hive and the brood and the queen cells in the other. A split is simply that, splitting the hive in half and increasing your stock but depleting the hive strength.
My preferred method is neither here nor there. I use different methods for the situation and you should try different methods to find what suite you. Then of course there is the demaree that is neither a split or an as, it is to quell the swarm fever but keeps your stock strong for a particular flow. Large subject. Do some reading
E

A split is when you want to increase your stock. It can be done at any time. It does little to stop swarming. An as is done when swarming is being threatened by queen cells being created. You then trick the colony into thinking that the queen has swarmed by getting the fliers and queen in one hive and the brood and the queen cells in the other. A split is simply that, splitting the hive in half and increasing your stock but depleting the hive strength.
My preferred method is neither here nor there. I use different methods for the situation and you should try different methods to find what suite you. Then of course there is the demaree that is neither a split or an as, it is to quell the swarm fever but keeps your stock strong for a particular flow. Large subject. Do some reading
E

If the spit reduces the strength of the hive and relieves congestion isn't one from of preemptive swarm control?
:welcome:

If the spit reduces the strength of the hive and relieves congestion isn't one from of preemptive swarm control?
:welcome:

IT makes the hive weak and then it is not able to bring yield either.

Congestion is not the reason of swarming. Reason is sexual reproduction.

Last edited:
IT makes the hive weak and then it is not able to bring yield either.

Congestion is not the reason of swarming. Reason is sexual reproduction.

If you spit after our spring honey flow then they have ample time to build up before the summer flow providing you requeen the Q- half.
Congestion in one factor in the timing of swarm preparation and reducing congestion in the brood can delay swarm preparation. If you can delay swarm preparation until after our spring honey flow then my colonies will show supercedure rather than swarm preparations.

If you spit after our spring honey flow then they have ample time to build up before the summer flow providing you requeen the Q- half.
Congestion in one factor in the timing of swarm preparation and reducing congestion in the brood can delay swarm preparation. If you can delay swarm preparation until after our spring honey flow then my colonies will show supercedure rather than swarm preparations.

To help in congestion, add boxes.

To delay swarm preparations, change the bee strains

Show supercedure.... Why, if the Queen is ok. Bees supercede in late summer, not in spring. Swarming or supercede are not alternatives.

When you split the colony, it is out of yield game next 6-8 weeks.

AS is very simple. Split is like AS without reason. Same procedures.

Latest posts

Back