sorry its help required again!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milkermel

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
well I survived my 2 week holiday with no issues to come home to. However I have a swarm at a customers bait hive that went in 3 weeks ago. unfortunately some numpty (me) forgot to put the crown board on! so I have a lovely 6rows of comb suspended from the roof of the hive - Ideas of how to get them into a box appreciated - without losing the brood they have already

oh yeah there were frames in the box, however they have drawn comb down from roof and stopped at the frames bless them, I wondered if I could just sit the lid upside down with hive and frames on top, know it would probably be messy, but would the brood survive upside down???

Can the brace comb be put into empty frames and held in place by rubber bands, have used that when doing a cut out

mogget that looks like an idea, thanks had similar idea but was wondering how best to secure into frames as I didn't think wire would hold it well enough.

I'd just scrape it off carefully and drop it down into the box with the frames, and carry on as normal. Anything else seems a lot of messing aound to save a bit of brood. Cant see that there is going to be much between the roof and the top of the frames..but the video is well worth watching.

Seeley just recommends putting a box on top of the upside down comb and leave them move up a La Bailey - Had the same in a bait hive a few weeks ago - Ignored most of the half dozen frames in the box and drew comb in front of them (quick re-design of bait hives next year methinks!) I just cut them out and pushed them into the wired frames.

Just to pick up on a few of the comments above: I have a number of bait hives in position around my out apiaries and as with previous years, all have attracted swarms (including one with a clipped queen from one of my own hives twenty odd feet away.... who says clipped queens cant fly?) Following a tip from a friend, I have used these swarms to populate mating hives and Nucs.
I have been a little quicker to look into the bait hives this year once they have been occupied and it is interesting that in each case, the bees have preferred to first draw out comb on frames with starter strips rather than use already drawn foundation. This accords with some of Dave Cushman's observations about giving the swarm a space in which they can cluster en masse without any obstacles in the way. My bait hives have been made up with 2 to 4 frames of old brood comb, sometimes a couple of frames of foundation and the box has been filled up with previously used frames with starter strips of foundation in them. The boxes vary as to whether the frames are running warm or cold. Any bait hives I place next year will only bear one or two old brood frames and the rest will be wired frames with starter strips. Filling the box out with the wired frames seems to ensure that they do not draw down comb from the roof or crown board.

I have a couple of Seeley's books sitting at home to read.... just have to finish Mark Winston's book first!

Latest posts

Back