some strange larvae thing happening

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niall

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
back down to one hive for winter
Hi all,

I’m in my second year opened my hive today to find plenty of bees. In fact the super had about 9 frames full with some capped and uncapped honey.

Treated the girls last year for Varroa and the floor was looking very clear when I took off the mouse guard.

That’s by way of background

Went into the broodbox, first think I noticed was loads of drone cells on most of the frames symmetrically lined up. Also notices a number of queen cells (I think as they were in a few frames but not drooping down.)

What is causing me concern is this “larvae” found open on the bottom of a couple of frames in the broodbox. What do people think this is?

I cannot tell much from the picture. Quite often when opening up some drone cells get ripped open as a frame is removed. Could be that

It is normal that there are drone brood under bottom of frame. It means nothing.
You should look, how much hives have brood frames and does it has room to lay.

One thing is that if you have super full of capped old honey, take it away. Full frames only harm the life of colony.

When colony is bigger, it truly needs empty super. Then it is time to feed crystallized honey back and it will be mixed to new honey. When colony needs space to rear brood, there is no reason to feed cells full with old honey.

Bees consume crystallised honey for example on rainy days. If flow is going, they cap crystals at once. When colony draw foundations, it is too good time to feed crystallized honey.

One thing is that if you have super full of capped old honey, take it away. Full frames only harm the life of colony.

:iagree:
A point lost on many well meaning beekeepers who believe they're doing some sort of good turn for their bees by leaving a full super on, when the reality is that without careful management a full super of old honey will often become a burden and a hindrance to the bees.

Thanks guys for the great advice, the joy of new babies

Will sleep soundly now

Niall

]I cannot tell much from the picture. Quite often when opening up some drone cells get ripped open as a frame is removed. Could be that:iagree:

Went into the broodbox, first think I noticed was loads of drone cells on most of the frames symmetrically lined up. Also notices a number of queen cells (I think as they were in a few frames but not drooping down.)

What is causing me concern is this “larvae” found open on the bottom of a couple of frames in the broodbox. What do people think this is?

Will sleep soundly now

Niall

So what have you done about the QCs to become so relaxed?

Latest posts

Back