Some sh!t has attacked one of my hives :(

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't,i had guns/rifles at an early age,what i find disturbing is the lack of discipline now.

I had an air rifle from the age of 13- looking back I don't think it was a good thing. It inspires you to use it, and you get bored of tin cans after a while.

It inspires you to use it, and you get bored of tin cans after a while.
If you were one of those then, you obviously lacked the disipline, and could not be trusted with guns.

knives and guns were the order of the day in my youth and nobody turned a hair :)
We also had throwing knives(usually in sets of three)
Boy scouts wore knives as part of their uniform .
To own a 'Bowie' hunting knife equated with the blackberry :)
We made throwing arrows which we could launch the length of a football pitch!.
These we used to launch from the goal posts at one end , the receivers used to launch them back! The only fatality I recall was a 17 years old army cadet who was killed on the rifle range of the local barracks !.
Though armed to the teeth, it never entered our heads to inflict injury on another person even though fights were common (Boys will be boys).
Also if a boy was struck and he went down, that was the end of the scrap as far as he was concerned! Should anyone aim a kick at the downed combatant , he would be turned on by his mates as that was considered heinous !
The world has changed beyond recognition :(
VM

My eldest is 13 and wouldn't dream of harming another living creature. He recently brought home a young cat that had followed him in the street, he'd been told it was stray and he was so upset that he begged me to take her in, and cried as he cuddled her when he asked me how someone could treat a little kitten in this way. If he had a gun (I understand these things are quite common in the countryside) I could safely say, without a doubt, that he would never aim it at a living thing. My other two are the same.

My eldest is 13 and wouldn't dream of harming another living creature. He recently brought home a young cat that had followed him in the street, he'd been told it was stray and he was so upset that he begged me to take her in, and cried as he cuddled her when he asked me how someone could treat a little kitten in this way. If he had a gun (I understand these things are quite common in the countryside) I could safely say, without a doubt, that he would never aim it at a living thing. My other two are the same.
Heart warming :)
Guns were common but so was the responsibility that went with them :)
We weren't angels . Jardine snap tackle was used when fishing for pike !
Thankfully such tackle is now illegal as indeed all forms of live baiting !.
We knew no better ,so
Keep on rearing those kids to follow your example ,remember our essential characters are formed in the first 7 years of life !
VM

Hahahahahaha "to own a bowie knife was the same as a blackberry".... god you are so right. I would holiday in Wales and the order of day 1, was to purchase a replacement knife and sheath. Available from the hunting shop to the post office, deer hron handled wonderousness. I would save all year to replace my knife. And I remember Lloyd had a Bowie knife and he was the envy of the entire estate.

We played War, where you devided up or went singles, and hid round the estate and made machine gun noises with your throat when you saw one of your mates. Prisons were built from scrap wood and builders abandoned bricks to house the captives. Days lasted a whole summer and a summer lasted your lifetime.

Do gooders. Thats the problem. These people who hound eveyone to do and live in the way that they see fit. Instead of being hearded out into the boons and slaughtered and fed to pigs, these parasites are held in lofty regard. Who are these "do gooders". Benefit cheats? members of parliment, or mad maggy the cat lady at the end of your street. Who knows..... but we should know who these know all scumbags are so we can asses their credability to "suggest" and influence and altimatly ruin what was a beautiful simple way of life.......

knives and guns were the order of the day in my youth and nobody turned a hair :)
These we used to launch from the goal posts at one end , the receivers used to launch them back! The only fatality I recall was a 17 years old army cadet who was killed on the rifle range of the local barracks !.
Though armed to the teeth, it never entered our heads to inflict injury on another person even though fights were common (Boys will be boys).
Also if a boy was struck and he went down, that was the end of the scrap as far as he was concerned! Should anyone aim a kick at the downed combatant , he would be turned on by his mates as that was considered heinous !
VM

Aye i took it one step further and became a master with the Katana :cheers2:

It's just a stupid world we are living in these days. We've had knives removed from our tool list in work and anyone found with one faces disciplinary action.

Strange how the idea of someone trying to do good upsets some people and becomes an insult in their utterances.

I don't,i had guns/rifles at an early age,what i find disturbing is the lack of discipline now.

got my first catapult at about 8 (was a very good shot) , had a knife collection by 10, had a full kit by 12 machetes were the name of the game great for going through scrub land(dad got work outa the machete thing) have been shoting my dads gun since about 10, wasnt able to get my own rifle till just after 18 (THE LAW) but shot my dads rifle LOTS now i have a shotgun a rifle and the missus has a rifle aswell.

i respect the weapons that i have and have had i can honestly say i have never hurt anything with a pulse with the exception of a few pest species in the last few years but i assure you they go quickly and quietly.
its all about disipline and respect for nature. kids today seem to have very little value on small furry life

Well HM it is partially about discipline, I was raised on a farm and we had shotguns and rifles about which as a young man I was taught to use safely and respect. But to be honest as I’ve got older I never use one and have got rid of the guns we had, although I will happily eat rabbit, pheasant even the odd pigeon if provided I don’t feel the need to go and shoot at them.

Do most people really need a gun of any type though, probably not. Surely education is more the way towards guns, knifes and respect for the environment we live in.....not forgetting world peace and love.

I opt for opinel knives and still have the first one I bought on a school trip to France!

(By the way HM that queen you send me is still laying great guns).

:iagree::iagree::iagree:
VM

....not forgetting world peace and love.
(By the way HM that queen you send me is still laying great guns).

The first bit really worries me of late,wish it could be that way, one of my sons is currently in the rifles,and believe it or not looking forward more than anything to going over to Afghanistan next year on tour,and not the kind i would like.

Pleased to hear about the queen.

The first bit really worries me of late,wish it could be that way, one of my sons is currently in the rifles,and believe it or not looking forward more than anything to going over to Afghanistan next year on tour,and not the kind i would like.

I wish him, and the others, safe and quiet passage.

Strange how the idea of someone trying to do good upsets some people and becomes an insult in their utterances.

Sometimes our experiences of people trying to "do good" are negative and we have to remember that what is "best" is in the eye of the beholder - and this is very true of beekeeping!!

I have to concur with some of the earlier comments on discipline: social norms have changed and continue to change and in many dimensions these changes are NOT for the better.

Pete, I hope your lad has a quiet tour. I was talking to a chap on Saturday whose daughter is out on tour with the TA at present and another chap who was telling me that one of his son's best mates is just safely back from a tour (RIR).

I'm amazed at how my original post about being annoyed at the attempted vandalism of one of my hives has metamorphosised into a debate about guns and personal responsibility!!!

It doesn't matter how responsibe a person is who keeps guns, if they are subsequently robbed by criminals (as happened to a farmer near here, who lost 16 shotguns, and my partner's uncle, who lost 4). The well-kept legally owned guns then move out of that control system. If we had fewer legal guns then there would be fewer legal guns to steal.

There are doubtless some people on here, as in the wider world, who will say that is nonsense and that I don't know what I am talking about. However as a person who has had the misfortune to find himself looking down the wrong end of a gun barrel *twice*, I can safely say that I have had more than enough experience of such weapons for one lifetime and it is not an experience that I would wish on anyone.

I'm amazed at how my original post about being annoyed at the attempted vandalism of one of my hives has metamorphosised into a debate about guns and personal responsibility!!!

It doesn't matter how responsibe a person is who keeps guns, if they are subsequently robbed by criminals (as happened to a farmer near here, who lost 16 shotguns, and my partner's uncle, who lost 4). The well-kept legally owned guns then move out of that control system. If we had fewer legal guns then there would be fewer legal guns to steal.

There are doubtless some people on here, as in the wider world, who will say that is nonsense and that I don't know what I am talking about. However as a person who has had the misfortune to find himself looking down the wrong end of a gun barrel *twice*, I can safely say that I have had more than enough experience of such weapons for one lifetime and it is not an experience that I would wish on anyone.

:iagree:

And before anyone doubts my lack of experience I grew up as a country boy with almost exactly the same experience of knives and guns as many above have detailed.

ohhhh please.
i am very sorry that you have been personaly affected by gun crime.

I would like to point out that if the criminals didnt get the guns from down the road they would get them from further afar. Rules are for people who obey them the people with legal firearms arnt the problem try the container loads of wepons that are being brought in by criminals and gangs.

To ilustrate a point when i was waiting for my first gun licence which took 1.5 years i was offered 3 ilegal handguns by word of mouth(cant verify that i could have actualy aquired them as i didnt persue them). I should point out that hand guns are VERY hard to licence in ireland and when liceneced have to be stored at a official gun range. These guns which i was offered couldnt have originated in the legal market.

i have spoken to several law enforcement people over here about this subject as it worried me and their advise to me was to store my firearms in seperate bits securly and away from the ammo. so for example my rifle is stored in 3 bits the main body, the clip, and the bolt mechanism, and none of these are stored close to the ammo.

Latest posts

Back