Some light fingered swine

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

munch

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
Had 3 hive stolen last week from my parents house in France. The light fingered person must have been a bee keeper as they actually went through all ten hives and picked the three strongest and took the equipment they wanted from the rest. WHY would another bee keeper do this??????:mad::mad::mad:

Our treasurer had that camera and it was stolen!

Sorry to hear your story, munch.

All people want to do is enjoy an enriching, enjoyable hobby in peace - but others think their selfish interest is more important. Don't think if the consequences.

Gets me so enraged! Damn their eyes.

D

What goes around comes around, I usually find.
And they are sh*ts and you are not. You are ahead of them already!

I was belittled by a beekeeper here for being a bit careful regarding security - as if there aren't any thieves in France - yet I read recently of hives being stolen in Creuse last month.
So sorry about yours, munch.
:(

Sorry to hear that.

For a light-fingered experienced beek I guess a few hives can be easy pickings.

Very sorry to hear of the thefts. It isn't just the items and of course the bees and potential honey. We all have to count the pennies - and usually con the other half into thinking things cost less than they do (says she who has just ordered a hive she should not and wondering what to say when it is delivered tomorrow. Do you think he might believe I won it at the convention?). Getting to the stage we are in our hobby is quite a struggle and to have such a slap in the face and have to backtrack is really annoying. Roll on the day when we can somehow have GPS tracking. I cannot understand the mentality of this; as people have said, it must be a beekeeper yet beekeepers must understand the devastation of the victim. I've no idea why - perhaps because they seem to still be in touch with their pastoral lifestyles - I am surprised it happens in France as well.

I was at our operation in Crete recently. We have had 18 mating nucs stolen over the past 2 months. The cost of the nucs is about 600 euros! People must be desperate if they are willing to risk jail for queens. Hive theft is classed as livestock rustling and carries a jail sentence in Greece.

In the same area the village priest had the bee population stolen from his 15 hives. They went and shook all the bees into other equipment, leaving him with frames of dying brood.

What a shame, what part of France may I ask?

This type of thing never happened until recently, (think about it), and it is still incredibly rare, in fact you would be laughed at in Poitou-Charentes, (Frances' biggest honey producing region), for even suggesting the possibility although I have heard from some regions that the anti-foreigner sentiment even extends to bee keeping and I have had a few unsolicited rude e-mails myself from other keepers over the years about my honey adverts.

Truth is that colonies, (and second hand kit), are so cheap here that I find it hard to believe that a serious keeper would do such a thing.

Chris

Hi chris, well they are in parthenay which is in the Poitou- Charentes so get laughing hehe. It's not anti foreigner as some of the locals have had there hives stolen from thouars/noirt in the last few years. It has been noticed by G.I.P.A 79 which have sent letters out. So be careful Chris when placing your hives

Just someone that needs his fingers broken

Parthenay eh, anyone I know?

Anyway, I'll make enquiries because it's the first I've heard of it and as I'm sure you know the countryside is littered with hives at almost every turn. I know quite a few people with between 500 and 2000 hives and they have never had one stolen.

Like I said, think about it in context, there's no real market for them - €60 / €70 a colony or even €100 to €150 a colony in a Dadant with supers. What' that in £'s? Not a lot.

Chris

Parthenay eh, anyone I know?

Anyway, I'll make enquiries because it's the first I've heard of it and as I'm sure you know the countryside is littered with hives at almost every turn. I know quite a few people with between 500 and 2000 hives and they have never had one stolen.

Like I said, think about it in context, there's no real market for them - €60 / €70 a colony or even €100 to €150 a colony in a Dadant with supers. What' that in £'s? Not a lot.

Chris

That would be a weeks food for someone that is desperate. if they could be sold on for that much.

These are bees and hives not gold coins AND this is La France profonde, you can't just sell them for that price, (which is the legal price), you have to find someone that wants them and there isn't exactly a shortage. I bought 80 supers with frames and 25 hives last week for €200 legally.

If this has occurred, and I don't doubt it has, then I suspect something less obvious than simple theft, I reiterate, this is La France profonde.

Chris

Can I ask if they have been advertising bees for sale in the "Brit media" in the region and also what type of hive they were and were they marked with their registration number?

Chris

Not sure if any have been advertised chris but the hives are danant and both hives and supers are both numbered. If you come across any more bargins like that and you don't want or need please pass on lol

Hard luck on your loss. Around me the sheep/lambs are getting russled at the moment havne n't heard of hives getting lifted to date. Don't suppose you have taken the Groupama insurance policy that includes theft? Small amount of compensation versus real cost of replacement but it would have reduced your losses if you had and the price is minimal and it also includes third party cover.

Latest posts

Back