Some fondant pics.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
Shots of a colony feeding on fondant, a nuc doing the same and a nuc which died out, and the consequent Dripping into the frames of the fondant.

Live bees seem to dry out the fondant surface and it does not drip down on them.

PH

Are pic. 2 national frames and the others L/S PH?

The Germans use clear plastic quilts to avoid crushing bees when using poly hives, as the rebate presents a large trapping area .

John W.

There are two lang yes, one is dead.

I know John but when in a hurry... and I have never used a quilt in a poly, i canna see it but as a condensation point.

PH

There are two lang yes, one is dead.

I know John but when in a hurry... and I have never used a quilt in a poly, i canna see it but as a condensation point.

PH
I've seen winter openings (IWF) no condensation visible ! Yes I know these videos are stage managed but the guy in the" rotational bee keeping" video opens a hive ,disturbing virgin snow on roof and virgin snow around hives; no signs of condensation and a beautiful view of a very active colony !!.
I would have thought a poly roof would deal with any condensation probs?

John W.

Probably but I ain't got any....lol

The caught bees are from over a year's usage. I am not fussed about them bar the nosema risk of course.

However interesting as this is it is not the point I was hoping to make.

PH

There's nothing wrong with a bit of condensation under the roof of a poly hive - it allows the bees access to water so they can dilute stores. It is how the bees live when the hive is covered in snow in more northern countries.

fondant Dripping into the frames

Live bees seem to dry out the fondant surface and it does not drip down on them.

PH

I should imagine that the 'Wet' fondant probably absorbed moisture from the air, whereas the fondant in the active hives would be in a warmer and dryer environment, with the Bees drinking any moisture
Just my theory :)

There's nothing wrong with a bit of condensation under the roof of a poly hive - it allows the bees access to water so they can dilute stores. It is how the bees live when the hive is covered in snow in more northern countries.

Hear, hear :iagree: People seem to be overly concerned, not mention demented, at a bit of condensation for no good reason. I varnish my crownboards for that very reason and it protects them from rot too!!!!

I've never seen any fondant before,so its a relief that the stuff I made looks just like the stuff in the pictures

Latest posts

Back