Solitary bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chriszog

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20+
Do honey bees and solitary bees get on together or should the solitary bees not be encouraged into the vicinity of the Apiary?

They coexist.
Even sometimes I see bumblebees try to sneak into a hive for some " free" food ( mostly I saw in late summer, autumn). But I saw always chased out.
Once I observed solitary bees on water source and they had smaller dispute with honey bee ( been chased off by honeybee). In my human mind it looked like the solitary bee wanted to seduce honey bee. Honey bee was mad of this attention and chased unlucky solitary bee..
Solitary bees are also very significant pollinator, especcially for some plants bees don't or in very rare occasions attend ( like cultivated pears for example). Wild pears bees adore..
I cut from time to time common reed and wrap bunch of it together and hang outside under the roof ( to don't get wet). I noticed Osmia rufa nested there.

had a bumble bee nest right next to a few hives at the home apiary a few years ago - they were happy enough there, solitary bees all over the place although I have struggled to spot such things the last few years

Latest posts

Back