Solitary Bee colony?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks like it might be an ivy bee Colletes hederae, they are quite recent newcomers to the UK.
The adults are active from September until around November.

You can report colonies to BWARS here http://www.bwars.com/index.php?q=content/colletes-hederae-monitoring-underway

:iagree: These are definately them. They look the same, their nest matches the description and photos and flying at this time also coincides with the information given. It also explains why they were't noticed prior to a week ago. All very interesting.

:iagree: These are definately them. They look the same, their nest matches the description and photos and flying at this time also coincides with the information given. It also explains why they were't noticed prior to a week ago. All very interesting.

I'm jealous of your ivy bees :) I saw a colony of them at Cosham railway station a couple of years ago, but not been to see if they are there again this year.

If the poor farmer has been stung himself, you can hardly blame him for worrying about whether his workers might get stung in the future.

However, to judge by all the information on this threat, it seems as if that sting was a very unusual event.

Possible bee-friendly solutions are:
- Trust the books and websites, treat the sting as a freak accident and do nothing.
- Erect screening to keep flight paths clear of workers
Both of these seem OK from an H&S point of view (not that I'm qualified to say). Assess the risk, and take appropriate precautions.

If the poor farmer has been stung himself, you can hardly blame him for worrying about whether his workers might get stung in the future.

However, to judge by all the information on this threat, it seems as if that sting was a very unusual event.

Possible bee-friendly solutions are:
- Trust the books and websites, treat the sting as a freak accident and do nothing.
- Erect screening to keep flight paths clear of workers
Both of these seem OK from an H&S point of view (not that I'm qualified to say). Assess the risk, and take appropriate precautions.

Agreed with your thinking.

Looks like Tawny mining bee to me...typically nest in close communal sites

sky, yes come to think of it mine have been and long gone....so could well be this new 'ivy bee'

Back