so what have i done wrong??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milkermel

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
did AS last sunday, however on inspection today I have found another QC in my Q+ hive. I will add that i went into the hive on Wednesday to make sure there were no Q cells present because AS was done quickly due to very bad weather conditions. My Queen is definately present and laying. Q cells were all along the top or sides of the frames last week which I thought ment they were swarmers not supercedure cells. Have I got it wrong again? As she was there I removed the cell up thinking if is it supercedure then they will re draw.

Any advice appreciated. - Thought year 3 was ment to be more straight forward!!

sometimes it takes time for the swarming instinct to abate, check it perhaps earlier than 7 days say day 5 if possible and see if they repeat , varius factors including too low a temperature to draw foundation ( was it foundation or drawn comb with the queen and a single brood frame ) or the queen may be slimmed down and ready to fly and not laying/pheromones

she could go if slimmed down with a viable QC even though not capped

did AS last sunday, however on inspection today I have found another QC in my Q+ hive. I will add that i went into the hive on Wednesday to make sure there were no Q cells present because AS was done quickly due to very bad weather conditions. My Queen is definately present and laying. Q cells were all along the top or sides of the frames last week which I thought ment they were swarmers not supercedure cells. Have I got it wrong again? As she was there I removed the cell up thinking if is it supercedure then they will re draw.

Any advice appreciated. - Thought year 3 was ment to be more straight forward!!

Did you follow the AS to the letter or did you do something close to an AS but cut a few corners? or added a few extra frames?

some drawn but mainly foundation. so yes reduced area for her maj to lay. think there are 5 foundation if I remember correctly.

Feeling a bit glum this evening the other AS is now in problems! noticed signs of disentry today so put some vitafeed gold in with syrup, tonight lots more poo and lots of bees dead on the OMF. :banghead:

Will take samples of bees and send off in the morning me thinks! The box had a swarm with nosema and colony did not survive. I blow torched the box as instructed, but my fear is that I will lose this now as well Dont know what to do next really

Winker I wasnt aware that there were any corners to cut when doing an AS?

Last edited:
I would follow Hivemaker's previous advice and spray the frames of bees with fumadil B. They may not be taking the feed too well.

Regards, RAB

some drawn but mainly foundation. so yes reduced area for her maj to lay. think there are 5 foundation if I remember correctly.

Winker I wasnt aware that there were any corners to cut when doing an AS?

if you have 5 foundation then the foundation to drawn would be equals at 5 each

5 foundation + 5 empty drawn+ queen brood=11 or did you leave more than one brood in the box

two many nurse bees with nothing to do can induce swarm cell building

ok in the queen brood box there were 3 frames of brood plus queen as instructed in http://www.cornwallhoney.co.uk/beepedia/artificial.htm 5 foundation so another 2 drawn combe - I think? but may be 4 foundation and 3 drawn really not totally sure - long day!

Would you recommend next time I have to do it to only use one frame of brood then?

ok in the queen brood box there were 3 frames of brood plus queen as instructed in http://www.cornwallhoney.co.uk/beepedia/artificial.htm 5 foundation so another 2 drawn combe - I think? but may be 4 foundation and 3 drawn really not totally sure - long day!

Would you recommend next time I have to do it to only use one frame of brood then?

I follow ted hooper's method which is on page 138 of his paperback guide to Bees and honey, thats the sames as your link but with only one frame of brood instead of three

the page number is not from memory i had to look it up to confirm my methods was the same as his method

IMHO an AS is only one frame with the queen on it, the rest of the BB should be foundation at least and maybe 2 frames of drawn comb either side of the frame with the queen on it and 9 foundation. hofmin frames that is

So IMHO you did cut corners by putting 2 extra frames of brood in with the queen. No offence meant

Last edited:
Every text I've read says one frame with queen on (no queen cells on it too) and the rest foundation. 3 frames of brood with the associated nurse bees may not reduce the swarming instinct enough hence more queen cells.

I did a demeree today and if the queen is off the frame when I look next week then that will come out and get replaced with another frame of foundation.

Thanks folks, was following the info given as I havent needed to do an AS before. that link was where I was pointed so it is what i followed! Will now need to read up on demaring it would seem if they try and do the QC again!

Latest posts

Back