So here they are!!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milfoil

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I don't believe it. If you remember a few weeks back I posted this:

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=11862

but it was not a viable colony, just a few left over so a local beekeeper took the brood to add to one of their hives. By this time I had already bought a new hive and a few bits which I thought were now going to be resigned to the garage for the winter and start again next year. However, a member here suggested that I get hold of some comb and put it inside the new hive to see if a swarm would be attracted. I didn't really think at this time of year there would be any possibility but why not give it a try.

A friend gave me two frames of comb and I rubbed some comb on the inside of the new hive - that was Wed morning (27th July). I just went outside for something and there was a buzzzzzzz . . . .

Seems like a local swarm have decided to come stay here. :)

Well, if they stay the night it's a swarm.

If it is a swarm, I would probably put the entrance block in and feed. And the hive needs some kind of landing platform, like a brick or a block.

Yes, to be honest, I really didn't expect anything to happen this year so I'm rather unprepared. I guess I'll have to act quickly. The crown board isn't finished (no holes drilled for the vents/feeder) so if they are still in residence tomorrow, I'll get on with settling them in proper.

"The crown board isn't finished"

a crown board may be solid - unless you want to feed them!!!

Yes, that's the idea, if I need to feed them (and I probably do at some point over the next few months) then the crown board needs to be finished.

The crown board isn't finished (no holes drilled for the vents/feeder)

Any suitable hole cut with a jigsaw would do. No top ventilation will be required as you have an OMF.

I hope it is in place or the bees may well be building wild comb from the roof by tomorrow!

Hope it is a swarm and not just bees robbing honey from the frames.

As per MB, if a swarm has taken residence, it definitely needs that entrance reducing.

RAB

Yes, the board is in place - just no holes cut yet.

I hope they are not just robbing out the honey, there is a little tiny bit at the top of one comb (a few square inches) so if they are, they are welcome to it I guess.

The entrance is in the super with the feeder (I just put it all in there assuming no chance this year).

Lets see if they are still about in a few days.

Ah well, false alarm (again). It's 9:30pm here and just starting to get dark. I noticed them all wandering off and the hive pretty much silent so I took a chance and had a peek. Only a few dozen left on the comb robbing out the honey. Or so it looks. Never mind.

A crown board has no holes - a feeder baord hs whatever you need to fit the feeder - you mention robbers stealing the honey? - I think I'm right in saying you shouldn't have honey filled combs in a bait hive anyway??

You are totally right about combs with honey in them. I have and every bloody wasp in the county comig to it.

Latest posts

Back