Snow

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbuzz

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
We have had a lot of snow over the last day, we have had the best part of a foot so far with more to come. I haven't seen it like this for the last 5 years and its the first time for me with hives in this weather.
What should I do with the hives, I have Segeberger Poly hives. So far I have cleared the snow from the sides, back and entrance. Is there anything more I should be doing? The forcast is looking really cold for the next few weeks with tomorrow down to -15 celcius. Should I keep digging them out or leave the snow alone?

I wouldn’t dig, snow is a good insulator. I would just make sure the entrance is open (this is normally the case anyway, with good size colony, due to the heat coming out).

We have had a lot of snow over the last day, we have had the best part of a foot so far with more to come. I haven't seen it like this for the last 5 years and its the first time for me with hives in this weather.
What should I do with the hives, I have Segeberger Poly hives. So far I have cleared the snow from the sides, back and entrance. Is there anything more I should be doing? The forcast is looking really cold for the next few weeks with tomorrow down to -15 celcius. Should I keep digging them out or leave the snow alone?

Do as little as possible, as you will be banging on the hive and disturbing them. I can't see why you need to do anything with the roof, sides and back - it probably just adds insulation! Someone else may know whether you really need to clear the entrances or not, given that you don't want the bees flying in this weather anyway.

6 inches of snow and more falling. I will not touch my hives until it's gone, confident they are OK for stores and are secure.

What should I do with the hives,
Nothing, stay indoors and keep warm - just like the bees will be doing unless disturbed

Watch out for the sun!!! At my hives there is snow. There is no wind and it has not been snowing today but I have found about 20 bees on the snow. The sunlight has shone in the entrances and the bees have been attracted to the sunlight and succumbed to the cold. I’ve taken about 15 into my kitchen and 10 have revived. Keep the entrance open but if in direct sunlight, cover the entrance. Don’t close the entrance, have a space. I use a piece of slate at about 45 degree angle so air can flow, snow will not land in front of the entrance and no direct sunlight can enter.

Attachments

• 43DEBD80-00B1-49D1-80D6-7E4848D6A8CB.jpeg
    43DEBD80-00B1-49D1-80D6-7E4848D6A8CB.jpeg
    900.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 869F291A-905C-410C-929C-D04DCE5C94E9.jpeg
    869F291A-905C-410C-929C-D04DCE5C94E9.jpeg
    887.5 KB · Views: 8
  • FE9B5DD5-726A-4A3A-A441-A78B4115A77E.jpeg
    FE9B5DD5-726A-4A3A-A441-A78B4115A77E.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
Watch out for the sun!!! At my hives there is snow. There is no wind and it has not been snowing today but I have found about 20 bees on the snow. The sunlight has shone in the entrances and the bees have been attracted to the sunlight and succumbed to the cold. I’ve taken about 15 into my kitchen and 10 have revived. Keep the entrance open but if in direct sunlight, cover the entrance. Don’t close the entrance, have a space. I use a piece of slate at about 45 degree angle so air can flow, snow will not land in front of the entrance and no direct sunlight can enter.
Is there any snow under the hives?

I’d say no but I have not looked.
I bet there is.
How much reflected light comes through the omf never mind the winter reduced entrance?
I wouldn’t worry about the odd few bees. They were probably on their way out anyway.

I bet there is.
How much reflected light comes through the omf never mind the winter reduced entrance?
I wouldn’t worry about the odd few bees. They were probably on their way out anyway.
Trust me I ain’t worrying. I have 3 hives at my house, 2 with solid floors and 1 omf with the board in and 1 poly nuc. Only after seeing this I have put slate in front of the entrance’s. Did wonder if the bees would venture out but thought it unlikely. Until I saw them! Not a big loss and I’d guess between 20 to 30 lost and no snow under the actual hives.

Trust me I ain’t worrying. I have 3 hives at my house, 2 with solid floors and 1 omf with the board in and 1 poly nuc. Only after seeing this I have put slate in front of the entrance’s. Did wonder if the bees would venture out but thought it unlikely. Until I saw them! Not a big loss and I’d guess between 20 to 30 lost and no snow under the actual hives.
Ah my apologies. I thought you were worried about the loss which is why you posted a warning to others.

We hardly get any snow in Essex but this week we've had a small taste of what the rest of the country has had for weeks.
Took a few bees by surprise as I found them as little frozen statues on the front of the hive. Presumably tempted out by the hour or two of brilliant sunshine but couldn't make the final couple of inches home 🙁

Latest posts

Back