Snow shrinkback from polys

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'ts been said lots of times on here that OMF plus top ventilatiion is BAD due to chimney effect.

Very little chimney effect,even with the feed hole open, if the roof has not got vents and is insulated,for a chimney effect the rising air would need to be able to escape from the top.....like in a chimney.

I have mine on now covering the fondant. The CB covers the access hole and keeps in the warmth. Bees are fine. There are no beespace issues as they are used upside down for fondant.

PH

That's good to hear, we were going to do the same thing IF ours require fondant. We're reassured by that. :)

-- -- -- ------ ----

Ref OMF: all ours are on OMF in polystyrene hives, the floors remain open - NO varroa trays in.
Weather has been windy in apiaries - only few nights of -0C.

All have either gained weight or stayed close to (just under) October weight.

Nucs in particular have remained same weight, some have gained 1Kg - except for one, we have NOT fed fondant.

When we put in varroa trays to do a varroa count, this blocks the OMF, within a few hours the condensation is considerable - polystyrene doesn't soak this up fortunately.

Once a week/10 days we listen to each hive or nuc (£7.50 stethoscope is hopeless for some reason ?) by pressing ear to side of hive on the West side (we get loudest sound that side).

We listen, then tap once with middle finger only. This produces a growl or a strong hiss depending on strength, we think.

A matter of interest, we hear the Queen piping from time to time.

Winter's not over yet though, we'll keep weighing every week from now on and listening of course.

Why tap when there is no need?

Frankly tapping is unnecessarily disturbing the cluster which unless for some scientific reason should be left alone during winter.

If they are alive they are alive, and if dead they are gone. If they are alive and in poor shape there is nothing that can be done so all that is being achieved is meddling.

PH

Why tap when there is no need?

Frankly tapping is unnecessarily disturbing the cluster which unless for some scientific reason should be left alone during winter.

If they are alive they are alive, and if dead they are gone. If they are alive and in poor shape there is nothing that can be done so all that is being achieved is meddling.

PH

You're quite right - it's reassurance. I must put my hearing aid in in future and not disturb.

When I did oxalic it was interesting to see the differences in the cluster positions. Some were almost invisible and others running around merrily. When they are way down between the combs it is very hard to know if they are alive or dead but as I say at this time it is academic.

PH

Last edited:
It is possible to not have a solid floor(allowing varrroa and wax to fall to the ground )

and the floor be 20C above ambient on the heat from the bees of a smallish colony (e.g.today)
and with the entrance open 20 cm2....

but then my hives are heretical and so are my bees :)

We've got some of them too!

Very interesting on the heat bit though.

Very little chimney effect,even with the feed hole open, if the roof has not got vents and is insulated,for a chimney effect the rising air would need to be able to escape from the top.....like in a chimney.

I missed the bit about no roof vents... never seen a roof without vents. Still sounds a pretty atypical set-up though.

When I did oxalic it was interesting to see the differences in the cluster positions. Some were almost invisible and others running around merrily.
PH

That's reassuring.
Of my two polys one lot were clustered in the middle and one lot roaming around the whole box. ALL three were at the top, the wooden one clustered onto the crownboard.

Back