snelgrove uniting question?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prana vallabha

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 national hives , 1 nuc
i have a typical snelgrove set up :- brood chamber ,Q excluder , 2 supers , snelgrove board,brood chamber, crownboard , roof.....

the top brood Q has mated fine and the bottom Q swarmed (but caught) , I WOULD LIKE TO UNITE TOP WITH BOTTOM BROOD CHAMBER (Q-)...
Do i need to move supers or can i unite with supers on and does Q+ brood chamber need to be on bottom or stay on top with news paper under neath ..... many thanks in advance

Keep the Queen in the top box for reuniting. You can keep supers on as long as they're full with bees so that the bees in the lower box will work upwards through the newspaper. It's always recommended to use newspaper to reunite them, even with a snelgrove board. However, I typically score the paper in a few places with a knife to encourage them to chew through it more quickly when reuniting a snelgrove setup. Done it a few times now, never any problems.

thanks , i will most probably take one super off as not to crowded down below snelgrove board

Back