Smell of mouldy cheese/dirty socks

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isn't it a pain when they wash their smelly little feet in between inspections. The bees I mean, not the inspectors ;)

:rofl::rofl: Think the inspector might have had size 11's!

Last edited:
That's great news.
I've learnt something too, never knew dandelions smelt like that!
Cazza

Hi Salmagundy and others,
That's excellent news and service! See what we learn on this forum. Is it the same situation with golden rod and are there any other stinkers to look out for? The bee inspectors are lovely they are so into it. Must call one out soon (only joking).

brilliant news

Hi Salmagundy and others,
That's excellent news and service! See what we learn on this forum. Is it the same situation with golden rod and are there any other stinkers to look out for? The bee inspectors are lovely they are so into it. Must call one out soon (only joking).

Thanks both. I agree whole-heartedly about the forum! I saw golden rod mentioned in a google search as producing a cheesy smell but the resident plant expert says she's not seen any around here.

I've heard it described as hints of ammonia. Mine were on Bluebells last year, that was an odd smell too.

Bluebells just starting to flower here but given the forecast they'll probably be over before the bees get out to them :(

Bit early for solidago
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Its the right time of the year for dandelion's, foul smelling nectar, once it becomes mature it stop smelling, take a frame out and smell the stores, hopefully that's the problem.

Regards

John

Its the right time of the year for dandelion's, foul smelling nectar, once it becomes mature it stop smelling, take a frame out and smell the stores, hopefully that's the problem.

Thanks John. I think a previous post suggested the cured honey also retains an unpleasant taste of cheese. Do you have any experience of that?

Thanks John. I think a previous post suggested the cured honey also retains an unpleasant taste of cheese. Do you have any experience of that?

I like cheese and honey sandwiches- let's hope for a good crop of dandelion!

I like cheese and honey sandwiches- let's hope for a good crop of dandelion!

Sounds yummy! What cheese do you recommend? I've got a bit of ripe stilton in the fridge which might be good.

How about Kashmiri spices, yoghurt and cheesy honey drizzled over a leg of lamb and then slow cooked? (Apologies to veggies.)

Assume the 'unusual honey-other food combination' thread will already have been done....

Dandelion still going strong here. Looking forward to taking a good deep sniff at the next inspection.

Latest posts

Back