Small Q- swarm in hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
4 Hives!!
Just looking for kindest way to deal with a small queenless swarm, it was a second cast that sat in a tree for 3 days, they have been in a national Nuc for 2 weeks now, as a small swarm have only drawn out 2 frames, and that is filled with very clumsy drone cells with 2 very sorry looking attempts at QC, so pretty sure they are Q-

they are working their little socks off brining in pollen & nectar and its a bit sad to watch them waste all that effort.

We don't need/want another colony, we are already giving one away (yes i know) and they are on national and the rest of our hives are 14x12 so cant even give them a fame eggs to build a viable QC.
so just looking for the kindest options to deal with them?

Last edited:
they are on national and the rest of our hives are 14x12 so cant even give them a fame eggs to build a viable QC.

have you thought about cutting a piece of comb with a few eggs from one of your 14x12 frames and inserting it into the frame of the Q- colony, ? bee-smillie

Could you unite them with one of your other colonies?
Hi Mandeille We don't have any national brood boxes, just the nuc, if we knew how to unite without an extra box we would.

We did think about shaking them out in-front of the other hives and hope they can bribe there way into one of them, does seem a bit brutal, but not sure what else to do?

have you thought about cutting a piece of comb with a few eggs from one of your 14x12 frames and inserting it into the frame of the Q- colony, ? bee-smillie
Hi John t, did think about doing that, but we don't really want another colony and would be on a frame size we don't use, we only captured them to make sure they weren't going to be a nuisance to anyone. i suppose we could use the cookie cutter method suggested on other threads, but i don't like messing our good hives around to much, and some of my ham fisted attempts have done more harm than good.

Last edited:
Hi Mandeille We don't have any national brood boxes, just the nuc, if we knew how to unite without an extra box we would.

Have you any spare supers? You could use two, one on top of the other to make up a box to put them in to unite.

Have you any spare supers? You could use two, one on top of the other to make up a box to put them in to unite.
Hi, we already have 2 suppers on each hive and one is 3/4 full just waiting for them to fill/cap the rest, its our first full year and we are a bit light on kit, hence the reason they ended up in in a national nuc, it was all we could get at the time!!
i haven't had full time job for last year so money is a bit tight for more kit.

Is it worth giving them to someone from your Association who has nationals and let them combine ?

Is it worth giving them to someone from your Association who has nationals and let them combine ?

Not a member of any association (tried but long story) just BBKA. if someone local wants them they can have them if they have any 14x12 frames for swap.

Not worth the hassle or effort I'm afraid - just shake them out in front of the other hives, they'll beg their way in and be of use to them.
Thanks for confirming JB, did think this was the best option but is a bit blunt. knowing my luck the silly little buggers will go back to the tree and build comb there!!

What ever will be will be.
I had to do what jbm suggested with a cast the virgin hasn't come back from her maiden flight .
I was going to take the cast swarm home but I've four swarms now and that's quite enough .
The better half has called the shots!

Last edited:
Que sera sera.

What ever will be will be.
I had to do what jbm suggested with a cast the virgin hasn't come back from her maiden flight .
I was going to take the cast swarm home but I've four swarms now and that's quite enough .
The better half has called the shots!

Hi Murox & CGF i know its probably the only sensible option, just they are my responsibility and want to do the best for them.

Hi Murox & CGF i know its probably the only sensible option, just they are my responsibility and want to do the best for them.

I shook a failed colony out at one apiary last week - by the time I'd tidied up and loaded all the spare kit into the truck, the shook out colony (and it wasn't that small) had begged themselves into the neighbouring hives - they will be a useful addition to their workforce which is more than what they will be otherwise

I know how you feel but as jbm said they will join another colony or colonys if you do it make sure they are very active first plenty of energy from syrup/ honey ect..
Good luck ..

You have no other use for them so shaking them out is not only sensible it is also humane; its advantageous to you and the other colonies and the bees themselves. Do it and fulfil your responsibility .

Hi JB, CGF & Murox.
Thanks form the confirmation and support that i am doing the right thing,
will discharge my duties in the morning.
Would puffing a little bit of smoke into the hive a few times 5 mins before shaking them out help to get them motivated?

Hi JB, CGF & Murox.
Thanks form the confirmation and support that i am doing the right thing,
will discharge my duties in the morning.
Would puffing a little bit of smoke into the hive a few times 5 mins before shaking them out help to get them motivated?

A serious smoking and I mean a shedful can get them to load up on stores - good bribe for the guards at a prospective new home.

Hi,its our first full year and we are a bit light on kit.

It's a b**ger this game! You always need 50% more kit than you've got!

I've been at it for 8 or 9 years and thought I'd got plenty of equipment in reserve. But no - I've had to borrow a shed-load this season to keep on top of things.

The deed has been done, a good percentage of them decided to go into the nuc next door, and it was all ready bursting with bees, so it could be a bit crowded in there, but they are going to their new home on Friday into a full hive so should be OK, there are just a few lost looking ones wandering around the lawn. but the blackbird will hover them up!!

Back