Small Hive Beetle "confirmed outbreak"?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TooBee...

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2+ nucs
Just stumbled across this document about the Small Hive Beetle, specifically look at Fig. 5 on page 8,
https://secure.fera.defra.gov.uk/beebase/downloadDocument.cfm?id=17

- you will see the color coded Key column on the right side, look at he bottom, at the orange circle, it says "Confirmed outbreak".

(I found this on http://www.nationalbeeunit.com/ and searched for "small hive beetle" and then opened the bottom PDF document entitled "Small Hive Beetle")

SO, does this mean that there has been "Confirmed outbreaks" of Small Hive Beetle??? It would seem so? If so there's been a lot of them?

The UK (or England and Wales) seems to be as well set up for them (their arrival) as they can reasonably be, do we have anything here in "Northern Ireland" and southern "Ireland"?

It looks like there is a confirmed outbreak at Dover - is that a brown circle behind the orange triangle?

What happened to the outbreak in Italy?

It looks like there is a confirmed outbreak at Dover - is that a brown circle behind the orange triangle?

Looks like there is a SHB outbreak at Dover and they are trying to cover it up.

Are you mistaking the orange circles (freight depots) for red circles (confirmed outbreak)?

mmm, just opened it on another monitor, now it appears more burnt orange; should have said the darker of the two oranges - the bottom one - you know what I mean :)

I was looking at the cluster in the middle, over Birmingham's B, they still look dark brown, the map and it's similar colored circles isn't at all clear, but surely they wouldn't have put "Confirmed outbreak" unless there had been confirmed outbreaks? ? ?

Last edited:
I was just looking at SHB updates in Italy.
Looking at the numbers It seems to me that they have done a good job in containing the outbreak.
Could be wishful thinking but the predicted spread has been avoided so far (if you believe the numbers they give).

Until I read the linked article I didn't realise about the risk of bringing them in with fruit ....very difficult to pick up the eggs on fruit surely?

Latest posts

Back