Small Hive Beetle

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnyP

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
This is part of a pdf that was forwarded to our local Association

"On September 11 2014, the Italian National Reference Centre for
beekeeping confirmed the first detection of the presence of Small hive
beetle (SHB) in South West Italy, in the port city of Gioia Tauro. The
samples were taken from a bait trap (similar to the Sentinel Apiaries in
the UK) belonging to the University of Gioia Tauro."

Mike Brown and Jason Learner, National Bee Unit.
15th September 2014

Nothing to fear
I am sure that the Government inspectors will be checking every port and airport for SHB, possibly a little bit bigger and easier to see than the novel forms of Deformed Wing Virus that has come in with the 20 thousand or so queens imported into the UK annually.

James

I disagree. Not everything can be checked and it's just as likely to arrive in a potted plant. Those of us in the south on light soils particularly should be up to speed on control.

Nothing to fear
I am sure that the Government inspectors will be checking every port and airport for SHB, possibly a little bit bigger and easier to see than the novel forms of Deformed Wing Virus that has come in with the 20 thousand or so queens imported into the UK annually.

James

How charmingly naive!

They can't spot human-sized illegals. And they claim to be looking for them.
What actual evidence is it that makes you so sure that "Government inspectors will be checking every port and airport for SHB"?
It would be nice if that were happening. But, sadly, it ain't.

And it looks as though you have misunderstood DWV too.

One of my friends has a designated sentinel hive as being a fisherman he lives very close to our local harbour.

... novel forms of Deformed Wing Virus that has come in with the 20 thousand or so queens imported into the UK annually

Can you give a reference that describes these 'novel forms of DWV' please.

Nothing to fear

James

I don't think this was meant to be taken literally!

Latest posts

Back