Sleaford Beekeepers new Website.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oscarmonster

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I would like to thanks those who answered my questions a couple of weeks ago. I have managed to get started on our new website.

http://sbka.me.uk

It's still a works in progress. Any thoughts and criticisms will be gratefully ignored.

I would like to thanks those who answered my questions a couple of weeks ago. I have managed to get started on our new website...It's still a works in progress. Any thoughts and criticisms will be gratefully ignored.
Ignore this then...

• Like the pictures and clean theme.
  • What you put on the landing page is best dictated by what the site is for.
  • If a site is purely a directory marker that is rarely updated (you see a lot for solicitors and other small businesses) a static "welcome" or "about" page is fine. If the only addition is the meeting schedule once a year, leave the welcome as it is.
  • If you are hoping to post something every couple of weeks, then a "news" type page is usually better. That's where the blog type software comes in. Post a paragraph for upcoming events for your and neighbouring associations, nbu warnings, anything about bees in the news or whatever members might find useful. Putting something new up every couple of weeks or so encourages some re-visits. The static "welcome" page becomes a prominent menu choice.
  • me.uk is usually a personal web site for one individual. org.uk might have been a better choice for a non-profit association. Or if the short form such as sbka has been bagged, a more explicit sleafordbka would turn up higher in searches if "sleaford" was a search term.

Last edited:
Thanks for having a look.
I am planning on having a paragraph on the front page with the latest news headlines linking to a news page. Just not figured out best way of doing it yet.
I didn't know about the domain thing. My personal preference was for a co.uk one.

Thanks for having a look.
I am planning on having a paragraph on the front page with the latest news headlines linking to a news page. Just not figured out best way of doing it yet.
I didn't know about the domain thing. My personal preference was for a co.uk one.

It's a worpress.com site, right? Just set up a blog page and send posts directly there which can then be resurfaced on the home page. It should be quite easy to do.

Hi Oscarmonster - not sure if we know each other, but Sleaford BKA own the domain name sleafordbka.org.uk (which currently shows the old site). The name is currently in my control but I'd be more than happy to get rid. If you need further info pm me or get in contact with Melody.

I was going to suggest that sleaford-beekeepers.org shows as available. but as MA above posts may suffice.

A brief para on why it would be an advantage to be a member, I would suggest to keep it brief and not spoil the clean look, some sites get just to 'busy'

otherwise....nice one.

Thanks for all the feed back so far.
A paragraph on member advantages is a good idea. Will have to write something, it's mostly copy and pasted from else where so far.

...A paragraph on member advantages is a good idea....
Our old site was moribund, the news page was around 18 months old. We moved it to a new platform. Drupal as it happens, but trying to avoid being patronising, it's not the easiest to start with.

Many rebuilds start with the best intentions. The difficult bit (for people with IT background) is not the set up, it's keeping it up to date. We try to update the "news" on the front page every 2-4 weeks. There's an event diary that we try to update as the schedule changes. If you can keep that up, then it should becomes the noticeboard of the association. If you can't update regularly, old news is not what you want on the front page. A "welcome" page with what-we-do and where-we-are is a better option, aim to at least update the contacts as they change and post the annual schedule of meetings.

Try not to start from the point of what you want as an individual, or even what the committee have seen elsewhere. As an example of overdoing it, we tried a forum. It wasn't used enough to be worth visiting regularly and even though protected with captcha it was soon attracting loads of spam posts, fake handbags and the like. So it became signed in members only, and hasn't been used since. I should remove it from the menus really. Consider it from the average member's point of view if you're trying to establish it as the regular news channel. Or prospective new members if it's basically a directory entry stating what you do.

I'm happy to admit I know nothing about website creation. So my plan has always been to keep it simple, making easier and more likely to be kept upto date.

Our old site was moribund, the news page was around 18 months old. We moved it to a new platform. Drupal as it happens, but trying to avoid being patronising, it's not the easiest to start with.

Many rebuilds start with the best intentions. The difficult bit (for people with IT background) is not the set up, it's keeping it up to date. We try to update the "news" on the front page every 2-4 weeks. There's an event diary that we try to update as the schedule changes. If you can keep that up, then it should becomes the noticeboard of the association. If you can't update regularly, old news is not what you want on the front page. A "welcome" page with what-we-do and where-we-are is a better option, aim to at least update the contacts as they change and post the annual schedule of meetings.

Try not to start from the point of what you want as an individual, or even what the committee have seen elsewhere. As an example of overdoing it, we tried a forum. It wasn't used enough to be worth visiting regularly and even though protected with captcha it was soon attracting loads of spam posts, fake handbags and the like. So it became signed in members only, and hasn't been used since. I should remove it from the menus really. Consider it from the average member's point of view if you're trying to establish it as the regular news channel. Or prospective new members if it's basically a directory entry stating what you do.

Exactly that

Latest posts

Back