Silly varroa question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monarda

House Bee
Reaction score
When counting mite drop on sticky board, would this just be female mites or do people include males as well ? Just wondered.

The male mite dies in the cell, the ones you see on the board are typically ladies.

The male mite dies in the cell, the ones you see on the board are typically ladies.
Hi Domino
I often see the odd male when I count-guess its a result of cells being cleaned out and just wondered if these are included in other peoples numbers when they write about mite drop on various web sites. One american site I saw actually said only count " the red ones" -I suppose he was referring to female varroa and not those of a certain political persuasion !

When counting mite drop on sticky board, would this just be female mites or do people include males as well ? Just wondered.

You've just triggered a mental image of holding up a mite with tiny tweezers and using a magnifying glass to check it's undercarriage :sorry:

In the greater scheme of things does it actually matter?

It's pretty simple. If there are hordes then treat. If not don't. That's about as scientific as I get. Life frankly is too short.

PH

It's pretty simple. If there are hordes then treat. If not don't. That's about as scientific as I get. Life frankly is too short.

PH

I think it does I'm learning something as I'm sure other beeks are??

PH

:iagree:

Not bothered as to what gender they are, as long as they're dead

Latest posts

Back