Shredded plastic-backed corrugated cardboard packing - is it safe in the smoker?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
but why do you need to carry a blowlamp around just to light a smoker? :rolleyes:
just a scrunched up piece of newspaper in with the remains of the last smoking and lit with a match or lighter does the job.

Sorry, I must be very thick. The 'spout/lid' is closed, so no fuel showing? So where d'you aim the flame of the blowtorch?:unsure::blush5:
So sorry - was in hurry when I wrote... have a perforated stainless steel insert in my smoker which I fill when it's out of the smoker, piece of wire attached to rim for lifting. Blowlamp bottom, and lift into smoker when lit.

(insert purchased for 10 Euros from German smoker maker - who have since gone bust.)

Simples - for idiots (like me).

I use a smoker as it self ignites - matches in winds are a pia.. also have several cheap lighters.. I have a beekeeping carryall (tote bag) which carries all essentials: gaffer tape, mesh, queen marking, Q cages, rope, glue, hive tools,scraper ,old egg cartons (instant fuel), plasters,etc

A blowlamp in the van takes no space compared with the gear I take about with me.
As do I. It helps when you are inspecting many apiaries with a drive in between. I also have a long lighter in the glove compartment and a jet lighter in the centre column. Covers any eventuality.

I also use a small handful of the shredded cardboard as it is really good for getting the smoker going. By the time I am looking at bees, I am sure most will have burnt away anyway.

The flame heats the shell of the smoker which forms a red-hot patch thus ignites material in contact on the inside. I've seen it done but I personally light a few bits of torn up egg carton, drop them into the empty smoker, sprinkle some shavings on top and give a few puffs of air to ensure it's lit then fill up with shavings and dry rotten wood chips

My smoker (like most I should think) has a seam where the two edges meet. I would have thought that a blowtorch flame, even on the opposite side of the barrel, would melt the solder/braze/weld?

My smoker (like most I should think) has a seam where the two edges meet. I would have thought that a blowtorch flame, even on the opposite side of the barrel, would melt the solder/braze/weld?
and wouldn't it destroy the customised paint job and transfers ????

I use toilet roll inners as main starter and fuel.... just shove as much grass in ontop and around... burns a nice white smoke for ages...
Take roll, pinch closedView attachment 28103 and push in + repeat
Me too! I roll 'pealed' corrugated cardboard mixed with dried grass et., and hold them together in toilet roll holders. I light them, put them them in the smoker and surround with leaves, grass etc. :sifone:

As I said - I've seen it done but personally I light in the conventional way. Yer pays her money and yer taker yer choice.

As I said - I've seen it done but personally I light in the conventional way. Yer pays her money and yer taker yer choice.

I agree..It can sometimes be hard enough to get a smoker going merrily, there's no way I'm ever going to try without putting the flame directly to the combustibles. What next? Eating honey by sniffing it?

I keep the wire from recycled brood foundation to tie the cardboard rolls for my smoker. I pull up the centre to make a cone and light the "hollowed" underneath. I also try to have a chimney in the centre.

I've tried the lot - dried rotten wood, cardboard, egg boxes. Now I just grab a handful of dry grass or weeds, double up so they fit in the smoker and light with a piece of newspaper. Dried grass produces a lovely smooth cool smoke and it doesn't go out. I don't use matches or a cigarette lighter. I do use a gas fire lighter. They last for ages, super reliable and only cost a couple of quid. Cardboard leaves a thick crusty residue on the inside of the smoker lid.

Reminds me of Sir Terry Pratchett's comment on mushrooms. All are edible some though just once.

Rotten wood + chefs blowtorch is my method. Lovely cool smoke and better still it's free.

PH

At the start of the season its water ! I just need to find a way of reselling it 😊

All you need is a name and a raison d'etre ... : Patrick's Bee Water .... guaranteed to calm your bees. Passed by the Management.

I'm surprised you haven't already got it on the stock list ...

I've tried the lot - dried rotten wood, cardboard, egg boxes. Now I just grab a handful of dry grass or weeds, double up so they fit in the smoker and light with a piece of newspaper. Dried grass produces a lovely smooth cool smoke and it doesn't go out. I don't use matches or a cigarette lighter. I do use a gas fire lighter. They last for ages, super reliable and only cost a couple of quid. Cardboard leaves a thick crusty residue on the inside of the smoker lid.
I posted this before. Following a visit from a Canadian beek I now use the dried flower/seed heads of the Stag-horn Sumach (Rhus typhina) which are still on the bush from last year. They keep smoking well as the seed has an oil content. I have my supply near my bee shed as you can see in the background. 3-4 seed heads lasts about an hour and doesn't choke me in the shed when inspecting.
20210912_123741.jpg20210912_123910.jpg

Latest posts

Back