Should we leave varroa board under the Mesh Floor in winter?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you skating on Wedmoreian thin ice??

.....no......my approach is so far to the opposite of that as to have the potential to attract criticism for "mollycoddling".
But from some of the responses on this thread, many people obviously find that the exposure which an uncovered, open-mesh floor allows is of no detriment to their bees or is good for them.

You need to trawl back through some of DerekM's posts. He very ably explained why an open mesh floor didn't necessarily compromise the colony's ability to keep warm.

Did he say that retaining the insert would necesarily compromise them? ;)

It’s all about the balance of air resistance and the buildup of buoyant air in the hive. If the entrance has enough resistance (small winter entrance for example, or the narrow slot and the shelter of the ‘porch’ area on an UFE) then heat builds up inside the hive and escapes at the next level down – the best distance for heat efficiency in a well insulated hive is 100mm or more below the bottom of the comb.
It's just as easy for you to dig around for Derek's writings as me. I don't need to.

It’s all about the balance of air resistance and the buildup of buoyant air in the hive. If the entrance has enough resistance (small winter entrance for example, or the narrow slot and the shelter of the ‘porch’ area on an UFE) then heat builds up inside the hive and escapes at the next level down – the best distance for heat efficiency in a well insulated hive is 100mm or more below the bottom of the comb.
It's just as easy for you to dig around for Derek's writings as me. I don't need to.

No worries, I don't expect you to to the digging; I've read much of it before and get the concept...I just don't follow it in practise.

As far as I am aware, DerekM has published no research on the effect of open mesh floors and/or varroa trays. Anything less than this (i.e. just comments on a forum) should be taken as just that - comments.

I could be wrong though. If so, I would welcome a link to this research to improve my understanding.

My personal hunch (and this is all it is) is that inserting the varroa floor into an open mesh floors makes little difference to colony strength/survival etc, as long as the top of the hive is draught-proof and well insulated. Other factors (varroa treatment, food, insulation, etc etc) are far far more significant issues to worry about.

No worries, I don't expect you to to the digging; I've read much of it before and get the concept...I just don't follow it in practise.
The inspection trays in my hives are reborn as wind baffles over winter .
the occasional peep I take before I brush and replace tells me quite a bit about the state of the colony such as where in the hive the bees are , how many frames they are covering etc.
no way are any varroa having fallen through the OMF going to climb back into the hive .
leaving the trays out for ventilation purposes assumes the beekeeper knows more about ventilation than the bees ,
I don’t think so !

The inspection trays in my hives are reborn as wind baffles over winter .
the occasional peep I take before I brush and replace tells me quite a bit about the state of the colony such as where in the hive the bees are , how many frames they are covering etc.
no way are any varroa having fallen through the OMF going to climb back into the hive .
leaving the trays out for ventilation purposes assumes the beekeeper knows more about ventilation than the bees ,
I don’t think so !

Exactly my approach. (y)

I have one hive on a slatted rack with a OMF approx 150mm below the comb this year so it will be interesting to see how it comes through winter.

I have one hive on a slatted rack with a OMF approx 150mm below the comb this year so it will be interesting to see how it comes through winter.
Will also be interesting how soon in spring the bees extend the combs into the 6” gap and fill it with drone brood .

Will also be interesting how soon in spring the bees extend the combs into the 6” gap and fill it with drone brood .
Slatted racks are constructed specifically to stop the extension of the combs

Slatted racks are constructed specifically to stop the extension of the combs

And in my opinion are not needed and another un-needed piece of equipment for fiddlers to fiddle with

Latest posts

Back