• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

several 5/6 frame national nucs for sale.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pete darbyshire

Yes dear, I'll be in in a minute.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
40 (+ nucs and mating hives)
I have quite a few nuc colonies for sale. They were early splits from my main colonies. that have been re-queened with a 2021 marked queen.
Open mated 2nd gen Buckfast strain. Very calm bees.
Some have been moved to hives, some to 1/2 hives, but all are ready for more space and I have run out of hives. There has just been a lime nectar flow and they are full!!
Supplied in a correx nuc box with 5 frames and all the bees shaken in, or you can bring a hive to put them into.
I suggest you veiw/choose the bees and collect the following evening or early morning. I can deliver locally (15 mile max)
Chesterfield area £190.00 inc. correx box.
I do not want to sell any of the wooden boxes that they are in at present, but have some plywood travel boxes if you prefer wood to correx.
pm me on here

Still a few left.

still a couple left

Why would anyone be buying nucs at this time of the year? Outlay with the fair possibility of total loss over the winter. ’Fair’ being that it is likely/mostly only inexperienced beeks who would buy bees in the autumn.

Why would anyone be buying nucs at this time of the year? Outlay with the fair possibility of total loss over the winter. ’Fair’ being that it is likely/mostly only inexperienced beeks who would buy bees in the autumn.
Because the original post was in July!!!! and the Nucs were built up to full colonies by September. Why would you expect a winter loss, lots of young bees, plenty of stores and a summer queen???

So, if the nucs set up in summer are expected to die over the winter, how do you advise beekeepers to increase their colony numbers?
Maybe you have been a victim of those who put a few bees in a box and call it a nuc.
In the unlikely event that the colony did not survive the winter I would replace it anyway......never happened yet though.

Last edited:
Despite the premonition of Oliver90owner all the nucs/colonies that were for sale have overwintered well. and are now available as overwintered colonies with 2021 queens. Same details...read previous posts20220325_102031.jpg20220325_102826.jpg

Last edited:
That is far better than buying a nuc in the autumn. I hope it as all of those you were hawking around last autumn - maybe/hopefully the readers took my advice and avoided the risk of buying a nuc in the autumn. You are likely better situated, to get them through the winter, than unsuspecting newbies.

Talking to an old beekeeper when I was thinking of buying late summer nucs in the early days, he just asked me one question, why spend your money and have all the risk and effort getting them thro the winter? He was right, I didn't buy and now make increase that mitigates that risk.

Latest posts

Back