Securing mouse guards

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hachi

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Damn! A lot more than I ever thought I'd have
I've always used drawing pins to secure my mouse guards in place and each year they come off.

What do you use?

Staples or brads work well.

Small nails

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Never been troubled by drawing pins while using suitable guards (once I made a magnetic pin holder). Just need a few more, perhaps? Or maybe the wood is rotting? Maybe not the better, larger drawing pins? Might even be polyhives. Who knows!

Used to use small brass screws which were a fiddly pain in the bum. Swapped to map pins (the ones with bright coloured large heads.) Never looked back. (Also easier to take out.)
Cazza

Used to use small brass screws which were a fiddly pain in the bum. Swapped to map pins (the ones with bright coloured large heads.) Never looked back. (Also easier to take out.)
Cazza

:yeahthat:

I changed over to map pins after reading (I think) Cazza's advice on a previous thread. They're great! Easy to handle even if you have gloves on, don't get lost if you drop them in the grass.

could try upholstery drawing pins, the same but longer pin

MG this side of the channel have slits either end and are then fixed to hives using screw in eyes. Turn eye vertical to be able to remove or invert MG, turn eye horizontal to lock MG in place. Easy and secure once eyes are screwed in place.

3 drawing pins have always done for me. Never had a problem.

I use map pins on my wooden hives. I have not put mouse guards on my polys for a couple of years, maybe lucky but not had a problem, I am wondering if I should stop using them altogether.
BTW. I have had problems with mice getting at stored empty boxes with frames.
S

what about using the slot in mouse guards? just fix the slots in place and then free to add/remove MG as desired.

I use these and have found them great. I do however still put a couple of pins in just to make sure they're secure.

I use map pins on my wooden hives. I have not put mouse guards on my polys for a couple of years, maybe lucky but not had a problem, I am wondering if I should stop using them altogether.
BTW. I have had problems with mice getting at stored empty boxes with frames.
S

I did put guards, but only slotted them in beside a sliding entrance on a WBC, rather than pinning them securely. Evicted 3 mice from the hive last weekend!! Lesson learned! :blush5:

I bent the top of my MG over at 90 degrees and then they will just push in between the floor and brood box.

I did put guards, but only slotted them in beside a sliding entrance on a WBC, rather than pinning them securely. Evicted 3 mice from the hive last weekend!! Lesson learned! :blush5:

Just goes to show we cannot rely on the experience of others. I have heard that some commercial beeks have stopped using them as they rarely get problems, not sure I can be that brave yet!
S

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back