Scout Bees??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmybee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
A FEW
Hi everyone! I have had a bait hive out for the last few weeks, last weekend I had one or two scout bee but over the last four days there has been hundreds. but still no swarm any ideas???

Did you check it , there may be a cast swarm gone in .

Yes i have, no swarm as yet but loads of bees in and out, been like that for a few days. ill check again tomorrow.

Just give it time the bees may not have swarmed yet and have more time to decide best just watch from a distance.

ok Thanks will do.

But have you some nectar in those enticing bait frames- or capped store- --robbing...

two thoughts -

1. robbing of honey in the old frame(s)

2. according to the papers i've seen swarms can take a good few days (upto a week or more) to finally get going to new home.

the increased activity (if 1 is not the case) suggests a proper visit shortly!

BTW where in UK are you?

wait and the bees shall come!!!!

I was sitting outside enjoying the sun when a cloud of the bees came over head and landed by my bait hive after a very long wait.
Any one have any ideas what to do next????
check for queen??? or new frames???

1/ Do not feed.

2/ Fill up the brood box with frames. Can fill up with drawn comb if you want. Fill up with the full complement of frames - you do not want the bees making wild comb hanging from the crownboard instead of using the frames.

3/ Do not disturb. Every swarm contains at least one queen.

4/ If it is a big swarm they might really put a spurt on, and depending on what type of hive you are using, they might easily need more space in this fine weather.

I wouldn't worry about the swarm not wanting to stay. If its a big swarm you might want to open the entrance up as a big swarm can work very energetically.

put a queen excluder on top of the floor for a week to stop the queen leaving. I had a very big swarm leave.

the dozens of scouts around my newly installed bait hive are already spring cleaning - pull out cobwebs and old wax debris!!!

hopefully not long the wait.

ok will do veg. good luck drstitson I waited 7 days from the first scout

Jimmy that’s great it must have been quite a sight only ever seen one leave the hive and that was pretty spectacular.

How did you configure the inside of the bait hive was it full of frames for instance?

As regards the advice from VEG that is ok but in his experience a week ago the bees left his hive after been housed they never selected it themselves in the first place, so left after finding something they thought was better.

With your hive they have chosen it and then will be less likely to leave however start to disturb them and they just may decide to go.

If you have filled the bait hive with frames and in a position you are happy with then I would leave well alone for a week, but if it is empty with no frames then you will have to put frames in sap and then the advice from VEG will come into its own as you will be disturbing them.

If you are able to get a frame of brood or eggs then this is a good way to try and make them stay.

Tom, I had 3 frames of really old black foundation in the middle of the box then pack the rest of the box out with new frames and wax then use lemon grass oil on the tops of the frames and left in view on top of my shed so i could keep an eye on it. hope that helps!!

Sound ok as far as wild comb is concerned as that they will clean up the old frames and drawer out the new frames.

The only problem is its on your shed roof good height as far as catching a swarm is concerned but not so good when they need moving but not impossible.

And they will be established in a week so the three feet move may be interesting when you have to move them, but if you can move it 3 miles and then back to its final position then its all good.

As you have the three old frames providing they don’t reject them the bees will clean them up and the queen can start to lay in them they may also drawer out foundation in a few days and this will also give comb for the queen to lay and once she does this the bees will be less likely to leave so you may be able to take a look within a week.

Make up a plan on how to move them and remember the hive will be a good bit heavier than when you put it on the roof best get a couple of ratchet straps round it for safety.

Good look Jimmy I hope they turn out to be good bees you are lucky and have had a great experience but just remember they know what they are doing.

tom

my "active" bait hive (an old smith at 1m alt.) has a comb of old nat brood with lure, then some brood sized frames with starter strips interspersed between old blown nat super frames. all topped off with some drops of lemongrass oil on the top bars and a well used crownboard with brace comb remnants..

the hive can be smelt from 3-5 metres away in afternoon heat.

have a proper national set up on a stand to accept the colony if it takes then bait will be reset.

Latest posts

Back