Scout bee spotted?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birdsandbees

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20 ish
Hi all,

A observed a scout bee checking the inside and outside of my bait hive this afternoon, do you think this may be indicative of a potential swarm arriving?
Thought it may be too early yet?

Thanks

Hi all,

A observed a scout bee checking the inside and outside of my bait hive this afternoon, do you think this may be indicative of a potential swarm arriving?
Thought it may be too early yet?

Thanks

It is not unknown for bees to swarm this early but it's not really been the sort of weather that promotes swarming - so I would think it unlikley ... probably just a bee that has caught the whiff from your bait hive and was a bit curious ...

At this time of year its more likely a bee scouting around for some easy pickings. The risk of the small being robbed out is approaching its peak, between now and the first sustained nectar flow..

Generally need drones before any swarming can take place.

As others have said, just a bee picking up on the smell.

Generally need drones before any swarming can take place.

As others have said, just a bee picking up on the smell.

Well, yes, I agree and the more the merrier in terms of queen mating flights but that said I have seen capped drone brood in one of my hives and I Know a local Beek that has Drone present AND even found QC's in his hives, this was why I was thinking it may be a possibility.
I doubt it will be anything other than a curious single bee but will keep you posted should anything occur. :thanks:

Your friends hives are 4-6 weeks ahead of mine, but maybe that's local climate etc.
I haven't looked in any of mine yet as the weather has not been good enough. When I do I am not expecting to see any drone brood.
I tend to look at hives as a whole and one with drone brood and queen cells right now would stand out as not being average with the rest, therefore its either very good or ...........er.......very bad.

Have a great season.

Last edited:
I have seen capped drone brood in one of my hives and I Know a local Beek that has Drone present AND even found QC's in his hives,

It may be just so obvious that it didn't need mentioning, but is there worker brood as well?

It may be just so obvious that it didn't need mentioning, but is there worker brood as well?

In mine, yes, a few frames of brood with a small patch of capped Drone on one of them.
In his, I couldn't say but I would think so, he's quite experienced/knowledgable and has a good number of Hives in several Apiaries, he was under the impression that several Beeks would be caught out this year near us by holding off on inspections when the Bees in some cases are building up quite rapidly.

In mine, yes, a few frames of brood with a small patch of capped Drone on one of them.
In his, I couldn't say but I would think so, he's quite experienced/knowledgable and has a good number of Hives in several Apiaries, he was under the impression that several Beeks would be caught out this year near us by holding off on inspections when the Bees in some cases are building up quite rapidly.

That sounds good then! Glad to hear that it isn't just drone brood.

(Hope you didn't mind me asking - it is an obvious one, but I have seen colonies whose owners didn't realise that all they had in the hive was drone brood....):(

That sounds good then! Glad to hear that it isn't just drone brood.

(Hope you didn't mind me asking - it is an obvious one, but I have seen colonies whose owners didn't realise that all they had in the hive was drone brood....):(

Hahaha, me too!
I went to aid someone last year who's colony was dwindling, long story short through talking to him I thought his queen was either gone or had become a Drone layer so I sourced him an AI laying BF Queen and set off to re-queen his hive, on opening up it was very evident that her royal highness had been gone for some time as all he had was masses of Drone and dotted Drone brood on the comb with a cup full of aged workers.
I made him a new colony with this precious Queen and a couple of frames of brood and bees from one of mine, I'm reluctant to let him have it as they have come through the winter really strong and have brood on 5 full frames already!
:toetap05:

Last edited:
Hahaha, me too!
I went to aid someone last year who's colony was dwindling, long story short through talking to him I thought his queen was either gone or had become a Drone layer so I sourced him an AI laying BF Queen and set off to re-queen his hive, on opening up it was very evident that her royal highness had been gone for some time as all he had was masses of Drone and dotted Drone brood on the comb with a cup full of aged workers.
I made him a new colony with this precious Queen and a couple of frames of brood and bees from one of mine, I'm reluctant to let him have it as they have come through the winter really strong and have brood on 5 full frames already!
:toetap05:

You sound like a very generous person - that sounds rather expensive! I'm not surprised you're considering hanging on to it now, though.

Well, he paid for the Queen it's his Nuc box and after all he is my Brother :icon_204-2:

Back