Sawdust type waste in hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SugarPlum

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi Guys

I have 3 hives, 2 of which seem to be doing okay. However, the last hive was weak going into winter and had a high varroa count (the others were virtually clear of it). I have been keeping an eye on them and they seem fairly content, but they are not flying out of the hive when all other bees are - (9 degrees today). I had a quick peep inside and the frames are in a mess. It looks like sawdust in there. I suspect wax moth, but can't see any webbing. Can anyone help? I'm keen not to have this hive robbed out by healthy bees if there is disease in there, but I don't think this one is viable.

Thank you.

Oh, right, I didn't think of mice. And I should have really, because the hives are in an allotment. Thanks for that. I will check.

Do you still have your mouse guards on?

YOu should look closer, what is happening there. Impossible to know via internet.

Lift the box up from floor. wax flour of saw dust?

when bees eate food during winter, cappings are on the floor like saw dust and it is in lines.

Last edited:
Thank you. I can't get there until the weekend now, but I will have a closer look and take my camera. No, I don't have my mouse guards on at the mo. :redface:

Latest posts

Back