Save nesting sites; please sign

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The main reason for me to pass this on is that currently there is nothing stopping developers or a local council from netting off entire nesting colonies whilst they are vacant during winter, thus preventing any nesting; this gives them free reign to legally develop or remove the “nuisance” site as there are no active nests.

Signed.
Over 70k now !

Signed over 70k now bloody councils Grrrr

Developers do the same to whole hedgerows and/or trees to be able to develop the area. Sometimes OK, but often simply a means to a big profit. I signed a petition on this topic some time ago.

Well all who signed this will have received the same response as I have.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/250845?reveal_response=yes

The first part just makes me spit:

"Government responded:

Birds that habitually use the same nests have their nests protected year round. Swallows, swifts and martins may return to sites but nest elsewhere. It is practical to protect nests while in use." ....

..."Birds which habitually use the same nests, white-tailed eagles, ospreys and golden eagles, have their nests protected year round, even when not in use.

In the case of swallows, swifts and martins, nests will remain in use throughout the summer until the birds leave on their autumn migration. They may return to the same sites for nesting, but these birds can and will, nest elsewhere. That is why the priority is to protect the nests while they are in use."

- In other words, to not protect them at other times.

The martin nests here have been in continuous use - every year for the entire time I've lived here - i.e. for 15 years.

Last edited:
That's right, same with the Swallows on the farm where I keep my bees, same barn, same nests, for years.
Let's face it, we would all have to find another place to live if our homes were destroyed but it would not be out of choice.

Latest posts

Back