Sales

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ma1308

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello, this is my first year as a bee owner, I will call myself a bee keeper when I get some honey :). I am aware some suppliers have a few sales towards the end of the year, I was thinking of ordering some poly nucs from P4yn3s do they have a sale is it worth waiting any info would be much appreciated.

Their site says the sale starts on 26th December.

I'm one of many who use their polynucs and will continue to do so but see their problems. The difficulty involved in not crushing bees, and issues with the feeder - lots of drowned bees or comb getting built in them. I prefer the wooden nucs but have to say that bees do winter quite well in the poly ones.

I have a few of their poly nucs and I always buy them with the eke, then place the feeder on top and block off the side feeder, saves losing bees in the feeder and the bees building comb in the side feeder.

Shropshire?
There will be some 'offers' at the BBKA Spring Convention at Harper Adams.
No idea as to Pains participation.

I think the Pains Nat/14x12 polynuc is pretty decent - after you have blocked off the feeder from the top (and side if you use the 14x12 eke). But since it takes 6 frames, using an ordinary frame feeder isn't a problem. The new disc entrance may benefit from a peg to prevent accidental rotation.

I also have poly nucs i put twigs in feeder no more dead bees .

They build comb in the feeder... Blooming nuisance! Block it off. Otherwise really handy for boxing and moving swarms. Have two, wouldn't buy more but they have their uses.

I have 4 poly NUC's (14x12) and up to date (all season) have not had a problem with comb in the feeder. To stop bees drowning? As Blackie says, put twigs in the feeder form end to end along with the piece of wood that comes with it.
A peg on the disc entrance if you use it and a definite.....put frame runners in as there is plenty of room. Just cut down a pair of steel ones and pin them with panel pins. The bees will do the rest. And of course painting will make the thing last forever!

R

I use a dozen of these and may buy more this winter. I have given away all my wood nucs now (though I still run wooden hives as well as poly). I may buy another 6, with 9 Ekes. I have 1.5x the number of Ekes as nuc boxes which allows BS / 14 x 12 and top feeding flexibility. You occasionally get comb in the feeder but no different to any frame feeder, which you could also use if wanted. I solved the dead bee issue with wind break material as a ladder in the feeder. If you don't need the feeder, just block off with a bit of plastic / metal but I haven't found comb built in the feeder a problem, I just cut it out once I have moved the bees on. I would like to see a thicker roof however, probably not necessary but nice to have :grin:.

Do you paint yours nic if so what with.

Dark green masonary paint, I think it was Cuprinol Shades Somerset green. It is a nice colour but isn't as hard wearing as some other makes.

Has anyone tried styreen balls in the feeder... as bean bags are filled with?

Had some much earlier type of frame feeders that had a pollystyreen float in... seemed to work, but bees ate / nibbled at the float!

I find the Hassocks Hives a Propper Payne to refill with syrup !!

Coated the inside of the feeder with mix of Pva glue and sand.
Bees scamper up and down no probs.
No drownings

Thanks for your replies, I am going to order a couple to try for next year as feeding seems to be the main problem with them could I use fondant instead of syrup?

Totally new to this so sorry if this is a stupid question.

I use a dozen of these and may buy more this winter. I have given away all my wood nucs now (though I still run wooden hives as well as poly). I may buy another 6, with 9 Ekes. I have 1.5x the number of Ekes as nuc boxes which allows BS / 14 x 12 and top feeding flexibility. You occasionally get comb in the feeder but no different to any frame feeder, which you could also use if wanted. I solved the dead bee issue with wind break material as a ladder in the feeder. If you don't need the feeder, just block off with a bit of plastic / metal but I haven't found comb built in the feeder a problem, I just cut it out once I have moved the bees on. I would like to see a thicker roof however, probably not necessary but nice to have :grin:.
wts the avoid tesco thing about lol + dnt shop there lool is it a joke or a real boy cot thing lol i may be slow on up take :)

Some very bad service whilst I was buying sugar from them last year.

Back to subject.

Thanks for your replies, I am going to order a couple to try for next year as feeding seems to be the main problem with them could I use fondant instead of syrup?

Back to subject.

You can feed fondant at any time. But its more cost, some might say not as good for the bees, and easy access to water is helpful.
It would avoid drowning problems, but still be awkward to clean out (and not cure the wild comb problems that some report), if you put fondant in the built-in feeder.
I think its best to just close the slot off and ignore it.
You can use an ordinary frame feeder (its a 6 frame nuc, most only take 5, so there is plenty room).
Or put a thin slice of fondant on the frame topbars.
Or buy the eke, make a basic cover board with a feed hole and use a small rapid feeder.
Feeding isn't a problem - just the built-in feeder!

Back to subject.

I tried this but you can't top up the fondant as there is always a layer of bees finishing off the fondant that remains.
What does work is adding the eke they supply and feeding fondant using that.

Latest posts

Back