Safest Beekeeping suit

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I too had problems; and lots of stings. I concluded that I would be gentler with the bees if I wasn't jumping every time I got stung. Caps under the veil slipped over my eyes and I could never reattach the veil to my suit after washing. It was fun watching bees precisely place themselve to sting through the stitching on the leather gloves.

People will laugh at this, but it works for me.
White boiler suit with velcro fasteners.
Bee farmer veil under suit (it has a mesh body top)
Full veil over top - yes two veils. In truth the visibility is not as geatly reduced as I would have expected.
Wellington boots
Arm gauntlets
Thick cotton gloves with green nitrile gloves over - actually better movement than leather.

I always wash every item after visiting the bees. Before any proper inspection I take a shower. If I get stung whilst just pottering away from the bees I wash the clothing.

If the suit isn't tight to you I can't see how you're getting so many stings? I'm only a second yr beek and only have a cheap suit but I've never been stung. Had a few to the gloves but they've not got through to my skin. Sounds like defensive bees to me.

I beekeep with bare hands and only a jacket. Apart from my horrible hive, I only get 2-3 stings in my hands each session- usually when I have trapped a bee under a bar when lifting frames..

As for being stung lots of time each session, only by the horrible hive and never more than 15 stings - usually all at once. I then glove up and life proceeds peacefully. (elastic bands round trouser bottoms and baggy trousers help a lot).

I cannot understand how so many stings are possible wearing full gear.

I borrowed a new looking suit from the club once when I'd forgotten my own and the bees hated it. I got pinged and followed all the way to the carpark.

I borrowed a new looking suit from the club once when I'd forgotten my own and the bees hated it. I got pinged and followed all the way to the carpark.

When was the club suit last used/washed I wonder if it is kept in a shed by the apiary and used as and when?

When was the club suit last used/washed I wonder if it is kept in a shed by the apiary and used as and when?
It was a fairly new and clean looking one and stored with the others (that I had used without problems several​ time) in a suitcase in the club barn. I can only guess that there was something on the suit the bees didn't like. Made me realise how much of an effect something like that can have on normally​ nice colonies.

If showering before perhaps worth using a non-fragrance shower gel. I've been told it's better not to shower and just smell your natural self and the same each time (although I don't follow that advice myself :)

If the bees are mental like mine no matter what you do you will still get attacked, i just put my head down and crack on regardless under two layers of clothing, it does do my head in though when my gloves keeping getting balled up more so when the dog gets stung around 40 yards away and anything else that gets too close, luckily with help from a good forum member my re Queening plan is in the making so next year will hopefully be less hectic during inspections.

My five cent

Salaam fellow beekeepers

Being a total novice without any real knowledge, I like to contribute. After all its the internet and zero knowledge doesnt stop people sprouting their opinion around :)

Now, I keep eucalyptus oil around the hive. Every two days a few drops of essential oil on the hive so the bees know its the smell of their hive. I add a few branches of eucalyptus around the hive. whenever I can (they dry out quick)

I also keep all my beekeepers gear in a cupboard with an open bottle of the same eucalyptus oil.

I believe it leads the bees thinking that I am associated with the hive. Probably utter rubbish but so far bees are very friendly with me when I open the hive (I dont wear gloves and do wear open sandals)

Lets not sell the fish in the sea and wait till year end to know if I end without stings.

BTW as novice having bees creeping over your hands is rather scary.

Blimey Millet that can't be enjoyable at all! I have one colony like it and the Q is getting squished very soon...
Sandals and no gloves psycad, that's brave,I couldn't do that, scare the hell out of me lol

Blimey Millet that can't be enjoyable at all! I have one colony like it and the Q is getting squished very soon...
Sandals and no gloves psycad, that's brave,I couldn't do that, scare the hell out of me lol
To be honest i'm not too bothered as i'm kind of used to them now, it's the horses and dogs i feel sorry for, they are bad on a good day dinging of me and the veil but on a bad day a fair few kill themselves trying to get be through the layers, i am thinking about moving the bad ones to a not so secure spot and hopefully with the aggression they show any vandals will leave them alone.

Latest posts

Back