Rotating hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rotating_Hive.pdf
Quote from above "After setting the drum to a start position, set the switch to the right, and the beehive will be at a rotating mode. The brood rotates once by 60 degrees in every 6 hours. The brood rotates 240 degrees during one day, and the complete rotation of 360 degrees will be performed in 36 hours.
Rotation does not disturb the bee colony. It makes them reorganize the brood daily, which is normally the beekeeper’s job. They take apart the remaining honey wreath, and carry it to the supers or the two side combs. The broodcombs will only include brood cells except for the two side combs with honey and pollen. Never remove these, as they are the reserves of the colony for the collection-free period. It is important that the fixing rod is fixed properly, otherwise if it falls out it can damage the inside of the brood,
and smash the bees. "

"After setting the drum to a start position, set the switch to the right, and the beehive will be at a rotating mode. The brood rotates once by 60 degrees in every 6 hours. The brood rotates 240 degrees during one day, and the complete rotation of 360 degrees will be performed in 36 hours.
Rotation does not disturb the bee colony. It makes them reorganize the brood daily, which is normally the beekeeper’s job. They take apart the remaining honey wreath, and carry it to the supers or the two side combs. The broodcombs will only include brood cells except for the two side combs with honey and pollen. Never remove these, as they are the reserves of the colony for the collection-free period. It is important that the fixing rod is fixed properly, otherwise if it falls out it can damage the inside of the brood,
and smash the bees. "

Not directed at you Russel, thank you for posting.

Is it just me or does the above contradict itself several times.

Rotation does not disturb the bee colony - It makes them reorganize the brood daily
then
Rotation does not disturb the bee colony - They take apart the remaining honey wreath, and carry it to the supers or the two side combs
and
It makes them reorganize the brood daily - which is normally the beekeeper’s job.

I used to beekeep with the guy that runs the box in post 5, what a disaster, could never get the frames out, bees seemed to be not the best tempered, whether it was the hive or the bees i don't know, they never lasted a season that year. There are youtube videos of a whole bee house full of them. The other side had some given to spread around to observe their efficiency. Why try and re-invent the wheel, no pun intended

"Is it just me or does the above contradict itself several times.

Rotation does not disturb the bee colony - It makes them reorganize the brood daily
then
Rotation does not disturb the bee colony - They take apart the remaining honey wreath, and carry it to the supers or the two side combs
"

I think it is just a little unfortunate use of terms - of course the normal brood patterning that we are familiar with in conventional hives is "disturbed". BUT the brooding PROCESS is not disturbed and the bees themselves just carry out normal housekeeping processes (just influenced by the change in orientation). so early stores are moved to end combs and supers whilst normal brood raising continues unchecked in the middle 8 frames.

"and
It makes them reorganize the brood daily - which is normally the beekeeper’s job."

i think here they mean that the bees reorganise things continually NOT that the beekeepers HAVE to do it everyday (except perhaps if they are referring to the curious newbies posting in other threads!!!).

Looking again at the picture in post #5, it occurred to me that I have now found out where all those binders from the world's computer mag tape libraries ended up after they fell into disuse . . . LoL

Latest posts

Back